Missing Images from subsite library, pages, and posts

I did a multi-site installation. While images show in the root site's media library, pages, and posts, they are not visible for a sub-site. Only image place holders are visible in media library. I can click on the place holder. When I click on edit I can see the image. I can also find the file that are visible in the blogs.dir directory. They just do not appear in the media, pages, or posts. I made sure my resources are good by checking my .user.ini file all is above minimum. Thank you and have a great day.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi afswpmu,

Hope you're well.

Which WP version is your network running on?
    I'm asking because blogs.dir is from an old WP structure and is no longer used, did you perhaps update your WP from 3.4 or older when this started happenin?

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5
    If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here: http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• afswpmu
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you for the quick response. I was out most of the day yesterday and did not have a chance to review until last night. To make sure I covered all the bases, I decided to confirm the contents of wp-config and .htacces. I found there were a few lines of code missing in the .htacess I was using, after I compared it to the suggested code shown under the network settings tab. Inserting the missing lines appears to have cleared up the problem. As a followup question, do you happen to have a link to where I can see how the directories are currently structured. It is always good to know this. Have a great day.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi afswpmu

Thank you for letting us know and I'm glad to hear that you managed to sort that out!

As for the directory structure of multisite. Currently it's almost the same as with regular single installs, with just one exception which is uploads folder. So you got:

- "wp-admin", "wp-includes" - which are "system" folders with WP core
    - "wp-content"

then "wp-content" contains at least:

- "plugins", "themes" - where all the plugins and themes are installed, regardless whether they are used for entire network or just on some site(s) of it

- "uploads" that's split into sub-folders; assuming that it's a "default" install, you got "yearly" folders where there are files from Media Library for the main site and then you got "/uploads/sites/" folder where are Media Library files for all the sites of the network; e.g. "/uploads/sites/10" would be Media Library content of the sub-site of ID 10.

Best regards,
    Adam

• afswpmu
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you for the info. I was thinking that was the case. But having both blogs.dir for older sites and an uploads folder I was not sure if the uploads folder was an intermediate storage for media library until content was assigned to a blog. It sounds like blogs.dir are for older sites and uploads is for newer sites. Have a great day.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.