Modal overlay issue/borkage

I'm having issues with modal overlays, which I believe is the term that's used when it comes to those dialogue box doohickeys that appear, usually when you want to add a link

What happens is that when I go to add a link on some pages it produces the add a link box, but it won't allow you to write in the link box. It's like it's locked. You can force your way around it by right clicking into the text box and pasting it in.

http://www.iamstaggered.com/directory/add-your-events/ produces http://screencast.com/t/CB5BaUbCaCg4

The one you'd be able to see it at is here - http://www.iamstaggered.com/questions/ask try adding some text into the box and then linking that text - it won't like it.

This seems to be happening on our add your business page as well, which isn't too clever. Can anyone help?

What I've tried:

I found an js error in the popover plugin popover, but when I tried deactivating that to see if it helped it didn't solve the issue.

I also tried deactivating tinymce advanced, but no joy.

HELP!

• aecnu

Greetings iamstaggered,

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

I have tried and cannot reproduce this issue on my test production server as shown here: http://aecnuwpmu.us/questions/ask/

Have you by any chance engaged in standard troubleshooting protocol to find the conflict?

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• Andrew Shanahan

Hmmm, I was worried this might be the answer - it's so difficult to do that! We have a lot of people on the site and if we start switching themes and turning plugins on and off it just looks really unprofessional.

I fully accept that not having a test site to debug this stuff is also unprofessional - that's my bad.

Can you spot *ANYTHING* that might narrow this down for us Joe? You the man.

(BTW - no email notification still...)

• aecnu

Greetings iamstaggered,

Thank you for your additional feedback, it is appreciated.

If this were my personal situation and I wanted to limit the downtime for end users, i would make a folder on my PC titled plugins with just the Q&A plugin inside.

I would then FTP into my installation and rename my current plugin folder to something else like pluginsold and then immediately follow by uploading the plugin folder on my computer to replace the renamed folder.

I would then log into the admin dashboard activate the Q&A plugin and test if the issue still exists.

If the issue is gone then we know it is indeed a plugin conflict, if the issue remains I would flip the theme to Twenty Eleven just long enough to make sure it is not a theme issue by testing again.

Then with the results of the test in I would flip the theme back, delete the plugin folder containing just the Q&A plugin and then rename the old plugins folder back to plugins.

This would be the quickest way to figure out if it is a plugin problem or a theme problem or neither.

This should be able to be accomplished inside of five minutes total.

The results would then determine the next action to take.

If I found it to be a plugin conflict then there would be no choice except to go through standard trouble shooting with the exception of the changing the theme portion.

I am sorry that I cannot think of a quicker way to figure this out which is complicated due to I cannot reproduce the issue - if so then i would be able to figure out a solution for us :slight_smile:

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Andrew Shanahan

Thanks as ever Joe. Here's what the issue was for anyone who might get this in the future.

In TinyMCEAdvanced one of the "advanced" options is this -

Advanced Link Enabling this TinyMCE plugin will overwrite the internal links feature in WordPress 3.1 and newer. Cuttently there is no way to enable both of them at the same time.

It seems your theme (still) doesn't support customised styles for the editor. If you would like to use that, you can create a file named editor-style.css and add it to your theme's directory. You can use the editor-style.css from the Twenty Ten theme as a template.

I selected that option and we get the vanilla WP link box and that one works. So I guess ultimately it's a theme (ours is a massively modified version of Arthemia) issue with the TinyMCE plugin.

Hope that helps anyone else suffering...

Cheers,

Shan.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.