Moderation Plugin spam

We are running WPMU (not current version, not even 3.0 but we are hoping to upgrade soon). We use the moderation plugin but I am constantly seeing spam marking blogs, posts and comments as spam.

It usually stars with: Language or Spam and then a number like – tJ3AOT oqdoendnovei, and then a URL.

Has anyone else had this and what an I do about it. We have to go through so much of this before we get the the real blogs that need to be moderated.

Thanks,

Helen

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Helen,

I am constantly seeing spam marking blogs, posts and comments as spam.

These are incorrectly marked as spam? Who is flagging them?

Also, you may have some issues with the plugin if you’re using the latest version with an older version of WPMU. You could try rolling back to an earlier version of the plugin.

Let us know what you find and we can dig a bit deeper as well.

Thanks!

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

@masonjames, unfortunately, the moderation plugin results in a lot of spam targeting the moderation plugin itself. Here’s an example spam we received today:

Placing moncler coats layers moncler outlet to your wardrobe moncler jackets uk could make moncler jacket you feature prominently moncler jackets when you will moncler uk obtain a few which may be distinct in style plus style and design. Looked on layouts are invariably linked to celebrities and the like moncler london forces you toluxury has to chip inside. moncler-jackets are even hip bone size moncler many with moncler shop celebrities and such moncler online shop forces you with fashionable distance moncler jackets a number [@180.109.8.43]

We received at least five copies of this “report”. The blogs and/or posts that are actually “reported” are always normal in every way and inoffensive, but I would say that before I imposed a couple filters on the moderation plugin (previous version) about 95+% of the “reports” were spam, and most were far worse than the content that was legitimately reported.

Last year I added a pre-filter to my local install for the moderation plugin to eliminate many of the spam submissions, and after that point it was *very* rare that we had spammy “reports.” Fast forward to today. I updated to the current version less than 24 hours ago and already had over 40 spammy reports — and not one legitimate report. Can’t wait to dig up my prefilter code and put it back in!

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi, Mason! While you’re at it, the anti-splog blog reconsideration request form does exactly the same thing. If you’ll be adding a spam filter to the other one – it would be cool if it could be applied to anti-splog, too. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.