Moderation plugin useless without CAPTCHA

One of the reasons I joined WPMU DEV was for the moderation plugin. How disappointing to see that it is readily overwhelmed by spammers reporting every post and comment in order to spam the queues with links nobody will ever see. It makes the plugin useless unless I review all 100+ reports every morning (100+ of which are nearly always spam).

Can you please fix this to discourage spammers with a simple CAPTCHA?

Thanks.

Mason

Hiya!

Thanks for your feedback. Captcha isn't included with this plugin, as that's not it's purpose. I know several members here have found success using typepad's anti-spam service. It's free and easy to set up: http://antispam.typepad.com/info/get-started.html

And we also offer a plugin specifically for handling spam and includes a simple captcha:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/comment-spam-pack

Hope this helps!

drmike

I'm sitting here a bit confused about what's happening here. Not totally clear. docjohn, are you saying that the 'Report this Post' and 'Report this comment' queue is being overloaded? Or are you saying the built in filtering reporting is being overloaded.

If it's the 'Report this Post' and 'Report this comment' queue, I'd wrap the report link around a is_logged_in() check. Seriously doubt these bots are logged in when they're hitting the form. Either that or add in an IP check. Chances are a select few IP addresses are causing you the problem and can be easily blocked. (edit: Or in fact just get rid of the reporting links all together if they're not worth the trouble.)

If it's the built in filtering for blogs and posts, I;d switch over to the anti splog plugin and let that deal with it. Most of the check are automated:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/anti-splog

In fact you may just want to move over to that plugin.

Most hosts know though that Captcha doesn't solve the blog issue. In fact they cause more problems than they solve. I know I can;t use them. Either I can;t see them and figure them out (You young people today with your 20/20 vision. Back in my day we stood around in a group behind the screen trying to figure out what the image is. Took votes and everything.) or I sit behind a broken proxy that doesn;t allow the image to be passed correctly or gets cached. Pretty much write off Comcast customers if you put one in there.

docjohn

This is what we're seeing -- people are using the report this post and report this comment functionality as THOUGH it were a comment form to be posted to the blog.

Not real people, mind you, just some spam bot. The only things in the comment section for the reporting are links to spam sites.

Like I said, we're getting a 100 of these a day now, making the reporting functionality useless. Some spam bot out there has figured out there's a comment form hidden behind the link and thinks it links to the blog somehow. After all, these bots aren't always the smartest things.

You cannot put a comment form on a website -- anywhere, for any purpose -- without this eventually happening. All comment forms -- even these -- need to have some sort of spam protection built-in. I can't believe it's 2010 and I have to say this to developers.

docjohn

drmike... Thanks for the additional suggestions. However, we don't allow users to register with our site in order to comment, so this wouldn't work for us. Nor would manually adding 5 or 10 new IPs to an ever-growing list every day.

reCAPTCHA solves this problem nicely. Like I said, if you're a high volume site (which this plugin suggests it is marketed toward), spam on any comment form is a real, serious and ongoing issue.

docjohn

drmike... Thanks for the additional suggestions. However, we don't allow users to register with our site in order to comment, so this wouldn't work for us. Nor would manually adding 5 or 10 new IPs to an ever-growing list every day.

reCAPTCHA solves this problem nicely. Like I said, if you're a high volume site (which this plugin suggests it is marketed toward), spam on any comment form is a real, serious and ongoing issue.

docjohn