Modificaiton Questions

I am putting my support structure within the admin menu of each blog.

I have a new menu item with several subs all is well.
I have a videos section calling to a php file that is working just fine within the dashboard.

Starting to work on the support documentation, I have a ton of it on a blog (within the ms) done as posts.

Was looking for a way to call posts from one of the blog within the dashboard or link to them somehow so it show within, like in the video page above.
If not in PHP is there a way to use all html and have it formatted correctly, lol, im aware these are silly questions, i dont have the vocabulary to ask the question i dont think or google it for that matter. I was able to hack my way through getting the video page up, wasn't that much alignment or even txt for that matter, was basically the same thing over and over but a page full of screen shots and urls..... would take waaay to long for me to convert the over 100 pages of documentation i have so far.

Ideas anyone?

• Mason

Hiya rpawly,

So you're wanting to display posts from the front end of one blog, in the admin area of a different blog?

I'm a little stumped on this one to be honest. Is the idea to have a support section with all the information available in the backend or are you linking back to the front-end anyway for the actual information?

It would seem to me that an easier solution would be to just have a blog available for members where they can search through the support materials and post/add to it/etc without moving it all to admin.

Of course, I could be missing something completely here, so feel free to give me some more specifics and we'll see if we can figure something out that works for ya.

Thanks!

• rpawly

So you're wanting to display posts from the front end of one blog, in the admin area of a different blog?

Yes, only show it in admin area of every blog. This would be the easiest on my part seeing how the front end posts are done already.

Is the idea to have a support section with all the information available in the backend

Yes, Exactly (so the next statement is why not just make the files, agreed, but i don't have the skill sets to get it done, obviously with posts using wysiwyg editing its easy or even using the editor then grabbing the resulting html is easy.

I tried a test by taking the video.php that i show above and stripping out the "body" of it and leaving the main css elements and then taking 1 of the support posts already done (via the support blog) copying the html and inserting it into the php file. All the data showed including the sshots but the formatting was all wrong.

I also tried just making .htm files with the code straight from the posts, but it would not stay within the admn area kept opening new tabs in the browswer, would not imbed like the php. I guess that if i could get a html page to embed i could just do that but don't know how. I don't know how the php file embed either but i canibalized the tools.php and kept stripping out things still it was a blank page embeded page, then added what i needed(coding at its best!)

It would seem to me that an easier solution would be to just have a blog available for members where they can search through the support materials and post/add to it/etc without moving it all to admin.

It would wouldn't it LOL ..... and that is what i started with and have today, BUT i am infatuated with the idea of it being in the admin panel (me<----------Retarded)

My ideal solution would be the following:

From first menu item - 1 PHP file with a getting started layout mimicking my getting started video
    From 2nd menu item -
    1 Contents page that would pull up sub windows when item selected (got that in my videos sections, could grab the code for that)
    50-100 topics ( have them now in the posts) but they are in mmmmm html?

• rpawly

ive got this working and could work as a final solultion
    ignore the double // coulnt get the code to show
    <//a// href="javascript:void(0)"onclick="window.open('http://support.philippinesblogging.com/dashboard/','welcome','width=960,height=600,menubar=0,status=0,location=0,toolbar=0,scrollbars=1')">
    JS Popup - The Dashboard</a//>

but would much rather it be in the existing page (iframe?) but i cant find instructions on pulling a iframe from php file, must not be using the right terms

ideas?

• Mason

Hiya rpawly,

I'll ask a couple of our developers to respond here, but this is probably getting a bit outside of what we can really support ya on. I'd recommend looking at a few of our more simpler plugins that have admin menus and see if you can use one as a pattern for doing what you're looking for here.

Nothing wrong with playing around with different ideas. I think it should be a fun process and you'll learn a ton while you're at it!

Thanks!