Modify the display of live stream widget

I need some help modifying the below section of code from live stream widget. What I want is for the widget only to display the post names (and the avatars). The snippet below is the text wrapper. I don't want all the stuff about the user name, site name and timestamp.

I tried commenting out the lines I don't want, but that broke the if/else statements. Can someone help streamline this for me so that it only displays the post name link?

/* Begine text container wrapper */
		$item_output .= '<div class="live-stream-text">';

/* Show the User Name */
			if (isset($user_data['display_name']))
				$item_output .= $author_anchor_begin . $user_data['display_name'] . $author_anchor_end ." ";

if ($item->post_type == "comment") {
				$item_output .= __(" commented on ", LIVE_STREAM_I18N_DOMAIN); ;

/* Show the Post Title */
				if (isset($blogs[$item->blog_id])) {
					$post_anchor_begin 	= '<a href="'. $item->post_permalink .'#comment-'. $item->comment_id .'">';
					$post_anchor_end 	= '</a>';

} else {
					$post_anchor_begin 	= '';
					$post_anchor_end 	= '';
				}

$item_output .= $post_anchor_begin . $item->post_title . $post_anchor_end ." ";

} else {
				$item_output .= " ". __('published', LIVE_STREAM_I18N_DOMAIN) ." ";

/* Show the Post Title */
				$item_output .= '<a href="'. $item->post_permalink .'">'. $item->post_title ."</a> ";
			}

/* Show the Blog domain */
			if ((isset($instance['show_users_content'])) && ($instance['show_users_content'] != "local")) {
				if (isset($blog->siteurl)) {
					$site_anchor_begin = '<a href="'. $blog->siteurl .'">';
					$site_anchor_end	= '</a>';
					$item_output .= "on ". $site_anchor_begin . $blog->blogname . $site_anchor_end ." ";
				}
			}

/* Show the Post/Comment human time */
			$item_output .= '<div class="live-stream-text-footer">';
			$item_output .= '<span class="live-stream-text-footer-date">'. sprintf( __( '%s ago ', LIVE_STREAM_I18N_DOMAIN ),
				human_time_diff( $item->post_published_stamp ) ) .'</span>';
			$item_output .= ' &middot; ';

//$item_output .= $item->post_published_stamp ." ". date('Y-m-d H:i:s', $item->post_published_stamp);
			//$item_output .= ' &middot; ';			

$item_output .= '<a class="live-stream-text-footer-date" href="'. $item->post_permalink .'">'. __('visit', LIVE_STREAM_I18N_DOMAIN) .'</a>';
			$item_output .= '</div>';

/* Closing the item text wrapper */