Monitoring says Website is down, but it isn't & cannot make backups

Hello i'm a new member and are trying to get started with the WPMUDEV tools, but until now I can not say i'm really happy.

All backups i'm trying to run get broken somehow in the process.

The website monitoring says the website is down, but it isn't.

I will try to add other website's but my membership was espcially to have a one place stop for backups and monitoring. My wpmanage subscription was cheaper and doing a better job to be honest.

Hopefully you will make my life happy by telling me what i should fix or change :wink:

Best regards,
Herre

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Herre,

Hope you had a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you're having these issues so let's try getting to bottom of this asap.
    Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at your site?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please respond in this thread once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• HaV

Hello Predrag,
    I opened access.

Some additional info... the manual backup seems to be working from the snapshots page... it says it has created 1 archive which i started manually... also a purly db backup.

Can it be an issue that i have other tables in my BD also?

Depending on cloud backup, where can it tell it to leave certain files and tables out of the backup?

The monitoring still says the site is down.. can this have to do by the fact i've installed WP in a subdirectory but running it on the main domain?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Herre,

Let me start with the monitoring status.

The monitoring still says the site is down.. can this have to do by the fact i've installed WP in a subdirectory but running it on the main domain?

I tested your site and even though backend was working fine the front end actually took around 5 minutes completely load for me.
    I then tested your site on geopeeker.com and site24x7.com and on first one test from Ireland failed to load your site while on other test from Australia failed, so it does look that the issue is somewhere on your site causing such long loading times, however site folder location shouldn't be cause of that.
    I would suggest getting in touch with your server provider about this.

Some additional info... the manual backup seems to be working from the snapshots page... it says it has created 1 archive which i started manually... also a purly db backup.

I see that in your snapshots you now have DB and Full backups, did the full backup managed to finish as well?

Or the issue is specific only to Managed Backups?

Depending on cloud backup, where can it tell it to leave certain files and tables out of the backup?

Managed Backups exclusions are set under Snapshot > Settings panel in Global Exclusions field.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• HaV

Hi Predrag,
    Thank you for the info on loading time... I noticed some problems on one of my other sites also.. so i will investigate that issue more in depth. The monitoring now tells me the site is online... so maybe it was just a small hiccup.

Managed Backups exclusions are set under Snapshot > Settings panel in Global Exclusions field.

Can I also exclude DB tables over there? I don't want all tables to be backed up.

I see that in your snapshots you now have DB and Full backups, did the full backup managed to finish as well?

Looking at the file size it is a full backup... i will do a few tests and come back with my final answer. :wink:

thank you so far.

• HaV

Hi Predrag thank you for the additional info.

There is a weird thing about this... when i look at the full backups, it says it contains 293mb. When i click on download I get a file of 0byes. But when i login with FTP i can download a file of 293 and unzip it and then it does seem to contain all the content. Is this a known error?

thank,
    Herre

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Herre,

I must say that I don't know for any similar reports, I can see the issue on your site however I was unable to replicate it on my installation.

You do have quite a few plugins installed so it could be conflict with one of those or perhaps outdated WP version.
    I've asked our developers if they have any thoughts on this so while I wait for their response could you try updating your WP and performing conflict test by disabling your other plugins to see if you're able to download it after that?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• HaV

Hey Predrag,

I did remove some plugins i wasnt really using anymore... those active are being used... also did update WP, Theme and Plugins. Did remove my browser cache and the cache from WP supercache... all without success. Well i can download the files by http://FTP...

I can't disable the plugins at this moment as its a live site... maybe i have time one of these days to convert it into a network and clone a staging version...
    Maybe the developers get back with an anser :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time so far...

Herre

• Dimitris

Hey there HaV,

I trust you're doing good and don't mind me jumping in here! :slight_smile:

I can't disable the plugins at this moment as its a live site... maybe i have time one of these days to convert it into a network and clone a staging version...

If you could proceed with such a staging environment it would be perfect in order to further debug this and do a full theme/plugin conflict test. Feel free to grant us with support access to the new site whenever it's ready.
    Meanwhile, could you please enable WP_DEBUG log to see if there's any PHP related error during this 0MB download? You can do so by editing the wp-config.php file of your installation, find a line like
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    and replace it with

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

If the above line doesn't exists, simply insert the snippet above the /* That's it! Stop Editing... */ comment.

Then try to download the .zip file in order to generate any relative errors in /wp-content/debug.log file. Simply download it, rename it to debug.txt and attach it here to your next reply.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• HaV

Hi Dimitris,
    no problem... I don't mind at all... every help is welcome.

hope you all are doing fine... I'm very happy with the way how you al try to respond. Heep up the good work!

That I haven't thought about that myself... turning on debugging.... :S

[05-Oct-2016 06:39:47 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1048577 bytes) in
    [..]
    /wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/Snapshot/Helper/Utility.php on line 1223

Seems to be an memory problem, but downloading a zip file... should that take so much memory?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Herre,

Thanks for checking that out, as snapshots are not web accessible, downloads have to be served through php, which can max out ram for larger files.

Can you try bumping up your memory limit to 512MB and see if you're able to download the file after that.
    You can increase the WordPress memory by following the instructions provided on below page:
    http://docs.woothemes.com/document/increasing-the-wordpress-memory-limit/

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• HaV

In the meantime could you try bumping it even more, for example to 1024MB just so we can see if it will work after that or it will keep exhausting memory no matter what?

Hi Pradrag,
    just tried to download the snapshot file with 1024M as a limit. To my surprise, the download succeeded. But to be honest, isn't it a bit high for such activities?

The archive file shows as a 303Meg file on my Macbook. Maybe the developers can have a good thought about this issue... as it is a pretty high limit setting... if all sites will be bumped up to such a limit, won't that cause problems with the server limits at a certain time?

• Dimitris

Hey there HaV,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

I'm glad that you've made through this.
    The limit of 1024MB is indeed a large one, but if your server can offer you such capacity there's nothing wrong with that. To reach the maximum server memory limit you should be doing something like simultaneous snapshot downloads which I presume will be more or less unlikely.
    Either way, let me pass the latest feedback of yours to our dev team and I'll keep you posted on this. :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.