More forum like forum plugin?

I am playing with the forums plugin, and it seems fairly restrictive.

We are trying to find a forum like plugin that would allow a few sections, with the ability to do private/public flags. And last but not least, work with multisite, and look good in general.

So far, the WPMUDEV Forums plugin seems to be fairly simple to use, however, no Widget to display open topics, and the way to privitize it is to simply put on a page thats private. Except, then people cant see the topics.

Yes, ideally they would just install an actual forum should they need it, but unfortunately theyre trying to use my multisite install.

We’ve tried BB Press. The private forums disappear unless logged in. The visitors are.. visitors, and just dont get that they simply need to log in.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @in-mn

Thank you for your post and the feedback regarding the Forums plugin. I’ll be sure to pass it on to the Developer for improvement suggestions.

Is there anything in particular that I can assist with regarding the Forums plugin?

Look forward to receive your feedback. Have a good day!

Gina

• in-mn
    • The Crimson Coder

well so far my understanding of the WPMUDEV forum plugin is I can embed it on a page, then make that page private.

Vs make a forum private (but allow title, display of posts, etc).

Honestly, I dont know why this client needs a forum. However, he feels it attracts members to be part of a secret society.

Personally I think the current use is fine.

Curious – what does this board use as forum/ticket software?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @in-mn

Just to confirm that I’ve pinged the Developer for his input on your requirements for the Forums plugin and to see how doable it is. Note that he is currently tied up in getting all the themes compatible with the latest version of WordPress, so his response time might be a bit longer that the Support Team.

Also, to answer your question about what we use for our own forum. We’re using the old stand alone version of bbPress.

Wish you all the best and will talk again soon.

Gina

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

You could also use Membership to protect and restrict pages by role and access level.

As Gina mentioned, we use a really old bbPress version before it was made as a plugin.

We’ve tried BB Press. The private forums disappear unless logged in. The visitors are.. visitors, and just dont get that they simply need to log in.

If they want it private, then its not going to be seen? Or is that they only want certain posts to be private?

If so then why not just have a private forum?

Or they want the post to be private but still show the title and such on an index page?

If that is the case then with our Membership plugin and a little regex in URL Groups that is very possible and relatively easy to achieve. I did something similar the other day for a member here who just wanted to hide profiles on the forums. (BP/bbP)

Other forum options:

SimplePress – http://simple-press.com/

bbPress – http://bbpress.org

Take care.

Tim.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.