More Pro Sites beginners questions!

I continue to work my way around setting up Pro Sites and have come across a few issues I can't quite resolve. I need more help...

I'll start with what I'm trying to achieve (maybe this is where the problems lie!)

I want to offer a 4 level system.

Level 1: (Free - not a Pro-Site level) 1 Page only (no ability to add Posts, just 1 Page). Display Advertising.

Level 2: (First Pro-Site level) Up to 6 Pages only (no ability to add Posts, just 1 Page). Display Advertising.

Level 3: (Second Pro-Site level) As Level 2, but no advertising.

Level 4: (Third Pro-Site level) Unlimited Pages, Unlimited Posts, no advertising.

(The levels have access to different plug-ins and themes etc, but I've got my head around that bit :slight_smile: )

Is this do-able??

I'm assuming that I need to start off by limiting what my free users get. For them I need to turn off their ability to Publish 'Posts' and limit their ability to Publish 'Pages' to just 1. I cannot seem to work out how to do this!

Next I need to limit the Post/Page Quotas for my levels 2 & 3. I can do that with the Post/Page Quotas module although there isn't an option for zero. I guess others are not as mean as me?

Finally, if a user starts of with a free trial at my level 3, but decides not to sign-up and falls back to my level 1 (free) is there an easy (meaning automatic) way to un-publish their 'Posts' and all but their 1st 'Pages' leaving them with a 1 page site or is that something I'll need to do manually?

• aecnu

Greetings stephenb,

Thank you for these great questions and a significant items to bring up.

I believe most of what you want done above concerning limiting posts/pages per level can be handled in Pro Sites using the Limit Publishing add on.

Logged into the network admin dashboard go to --> Pro Sites --> Modules/Gateways --> Check mark Limit Publishing and choose save changes at the bottom left of the screen.

Then go to Pro Sites --> Settings --> Post/Page Quotas and set the quotas for each level as desired.

You need to also go to Limit Publishing on the same page as mentioned above and turn on limit publishing for each level.

Now the problem here is that I do not see the "Free" level represented in the limitations.

Therefore it appears that it will be necessary to use an external plugin to limit this level using something like Bainternet Posts Creation Limits plugin

Last but not least:

Finally, if a user starts of with a free trial at my level 3, but decides not to sign-up and falls back to my level 1 (free) is there an easy (meaning automatic) way to un-publish their 'Posts' and all but their 1st 'Pages' leaving them with a 1 page site or is that something I'll need to do manually?

It is sure the plugins and templates will revert to those allowed under the free level disabling the non level specific plugins and themes.

However posts and pages are probably unaffected and you will need to manually deal with this (see Quick Overview below)

Quick Overview:

The original intent of Pro Sites was to manage different levels with there abilities managed to include posts, pages, themes and plugins. But the free level was meant to be low level and may not be allowed no themes and plugins at all but as many posts and pages the end user wanted because they are advertising supported.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.