most simple site with upfront as base for mobile application?

Hi :slight_smile:

I am in a multi site setup in which my customers can create their own web site which is basically a listing of yachts. (main: http://mycharteryacht.com/ customer: http://rico.mycharteryacht.com) I would like to keep the client sites as clean and simple as possible. I would also like to create a mobile application from the client sites. Currently I am using the fluida theme but it is not flexible enough as I can not change some settings like getting rid of headers.

What would be the recommended way for me to go forward? Should I use a plain version of upfront? All I need for now are category listings with filters and detail listings with contact forms but I would like to stay flexible as I probably need to modify pages for different customers. As mentioned above, the customer sites should be easily converted into mobile apps and also integrated as iframes into client sites.

Thank you very much for your help.

• Milan

Hello Rico ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

There are two points where I need your bit depth clarifications. :slight_smile:

#1) The customer sites should be easily converted into mobile apps
    How you are planning to do this ? I mean, do you want exact layout in terms of view of mobile applications or you want automatic conversion here ?

If you are planning to create mobile apps for each site then it really depends on Mobile App designers and developer to make it happen for you but if you just want to site to be loaded responsive at mobile breakpoints then our Upfront offers way of tweaking sites layout at different breakpoints. :slight_smile:

#2) Also integrated as iframes into client sites.
    I am note getting this, would you please throw some light here ?

Looking forward to hearing back. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Rico

Dear Milan,

Thank you very much for your swift response. I am very well and I hope the same for you.

#1) I don't know how to convert the sites into mobile applications. What I envision is that my clients download an application from app store etc. And once they launch it they are asked to put in the url (or register if they dont have one). They then type rico.mycharyeryachts.com or hotelname.mycharteryachts.com (their url) and then this site is displayed in the app. I think that this is called a wrapper? Layout is not so important for me as long as it looks ok. Usability and data is more important so I would say automatic conversion is the way to go.

As I said. I have no idea but I read about phonegap and wanted to give that a try. I do have a developer friend who could help. Very open to suggestions though.

2#) If one of my clients (hotel, travel agency) has a web site they can create a menu to a page. This page then displays <iframe>hotelname.mycharyeryachts.com </iframe>
    I guess that this should be quite straight forward.

Thanks Milan.

• Dimitris

Hey there Rico,

I trust you're well today and don't mind chiming in!

#1) A solution for you should be a service like Phonegap as you already said. Here's an article with a basic how-to workaround http://www.wpexplorer.com/wordpress-website-app/
    Other famous alternative is AppPresser https://apppresser.com/.
    More options can be found from our blog here https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/5-plugins-to-turn-wordpress-into-a-mobile-app/

#2) This is pretty straight forward indeed as long as they aren't being blocked for the source installation.

Take care,
    Dimitris

• Rico

Thank you so much Dimitris, It brings me a step closer indeed.
    The main question for me is now, "what do I use to build my site so that it is optimised for multi user and mobile deployment right from the start?" Should I use a framework like Genensis, Divi or Upfront and if so which one? Should I use just a simple fast theme on top of WP? Is there a third way I am not aware off? I wan't to start right so going forward is easy.

Thanks again,
    Rico

• Milan

Hello Rico ,

Hope you are doing well today. :slight_smile:

According to me, Upfront would be better in your case as with Upfront, you won't need to do custom coding stuff. Also you can easily configure Upfront site for different mobile breakpoints which will serve your requirement of responsiveness too. And if at point, you would need any help with Upfront, you can always come to us. :wink:

But if you see, you would need to do custom coding and tweak theme template according to your need, Upfront may not suit that requirement well as Upfront mainly focus on coding less theme designing.

And furthermore, if you still need further guidance on this, you can always ask your this question in our Members Forum where our community actively participates.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need help with anything else. :slight_smile:
    Regards,
    Milan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.