Move Existing Website to Upfront- tutorials?

I have an existing website using Coursepress Pro.
I am trying to recreate it on Scribe.
It's not happening for me.
Example: For my existing posts I created a new menu item "Ideas" added all the posts to that menu item.
I do not see "Ideas" anywhere on the live site. I can find the posts under the existing "news" link.
I cannot find my courses through any existing link.
When I crete a new menu item for a course- the items I am able to select to place under the menu include some default scribe things and my posts-- but not my courses. When I search for courses or particular pages within a course while creating a menu they cannot be found.

There is something I am missing.
I think it may be so basic to enough people that it is not worth describing,
But I find in my case at least- I need a lot of describing.

The tutorials I see with Scribe/Upfront talk about creating new content.
Are there any tutorials that walk you through moving existing content?

Thank you for your patience and help.

Peter

• Nastia

Hello @peter, I hope this message finds you well!

The CoursePress plugin uses virtual pages. At this moment Upfront doesn't play well with CoursePress virtual pages or for that matter any plugin that uses virtual pages.

Our developers are aware of this and we're working on fixing this in one of the future Upfront updates.

Example: For my existing posts I created a new menu item "Ideas" added all the posts to that menu item.
    I do not see "Ideas" anywhere on the live site. I can find the posts under the existing "news" link.

Have you created the menu "Ideas" using Upfront or on WordPress Dashboard? You can edit the menu "News" to "Ideas". Please see the video bellow:
    https://monosnap.com/file/64JZHsXjSv5fkc0Sy9GrIua607h4tr#

Otherwise, when creating a new menu, attach a link to it like it is shown in the video bellow:
    https://monosnap.com/file/7TjQ1017XBUidgvfFbNzOvlJ84pStE#

Please, feel free to let us know if you require any further information.

Cheers,
    Nastia

• peter

Thank you for your reply @Nastia. I am getting there in my understanding. The videos are very helpful.
    As an aside- the software is amazing, I get that, and it gets too confusing for me to have controls in 1) Wordpress 2) Coursepress 3) WPMUDEV dashboard 4) Scribe activate/customize-

I am just beginning to understand what a virtual page might be.
    In the course press settings it says to use a virtual page at Student login etc--What I think this really means is all the course pages are virtual pages.
    It also looks like we are not meant to have a choice about wether to use a virtual page or not, so I think this also means I can't "turn it off"- I have to try the linking thing... and ......
    I'm gonna try it- which will take me a few days-- and then I'll have better questions to ask or success to report.

Thanks for you help,

Peter

• Nastia

Hello @Peter!

If you need assistance or you need to clarify something else, please don't hesitate and post your questions in the forum.

Virtual pages are not like wordpress pages which you can modify. Virtual pages (sometimes the are called fake pages) are tightly coupled with plugin or theme which creates it.

I think this really means is all the course pages are virtual pages.
    It also looks like we are not meant to have a choice about wether to use a virtual page or not, so I think this also means I can't "turn it off"

Yes, you are correct! All CoursePress pages are virtual pages and they can't be switch to a usual WordPress pages. This is how the plugins works at the current time.

If you still want to use Upfront and CoursePress plugin, you could install WordPress Multisite, keep your main site on Upfront or any other theme you want and then create one sub-site that will be only used for your courses.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• peter

Great, thank you again, @Nastia. This makes things much clearer to me now. One of the obvious things I needed to be told is the nature of virtual pages and that my Coursepress pages ARE virtual pages. I really appreciate your suggestion for Plan B- that makes a lot more sense to me and seems much more within the realm of my abilities.
    Problem solved......? Mischief managed. :wink:

Thanks, Peter

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.