Move Media files frome one site to another site properly

Hi,
I have a slight problem moving my media files from a localhost install to a live remote site.

Tried using Wordpress Exporter/Importer but all I get is loads of import errors. So basically I end up with all the files moved but not showing up in the media library. Which then in turn makes it impossible for some of the plugins to find the pictures.

Also tried some importer plugin. But it will import any of the media files into the library which I am trying to avoid because to most pictures that one of the plugins imported it also created various thumbnail sizes that I don't really want to include since they would clutter upt the libray.

Cheers,
Peter

• Nithin

Hi Peter,

Tried using Wordpress Exporter/Importer but all I get is loads of import errors. So basically I end up with all the files moved but not showing up in the media library. Which then in turn makes it impossible for some of the plugins to find the pictures.

What import errors you see? It's pretty tough to say what could have one wrong without knowing these.

Since you have already tried other plugins, and since it doesn't fit to you needs. If your concern is to move the files to Media, you can manually copy the files into the /wp-content/uploads directory structure. Wouldn't that work?

If it's a single site, you could try the Duplicator plugin which will copy the whole site, which includes the media files too.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Peter

Hi Nithin,

I managed to solve the problem. It was a rather annoying issue. I finally got things to work when I used Snapshot to create a full copy of the local install on a third external Wordpress site. Then Create the export meida files from that third site and import them in the final destination site.

BUT!
    I finally got some error messages to display and for some reason the exporting remote host was denying access to the media files for download. I double checked. The ULR in the xml file were all good. I could access the pictures manually in my browser. But it felt like the exporting host was blocking requests once a certain number of exports were allowed. So basically I had to run the import 10 times or so and then finally everything ended up where it belonged.
    What a mess.

I couldn't use a backup plugin for this. For some reason that I haven't been able to identify yet, my webhost has been screwing up site speed when I used them. Snapshot was giving me other headaches. Some tables didn't get created for some reason. Got a seperate thread for that going.
    But that's why I started looking into using the WP Importer in the first place. This way I manged to get the data imported AND keep the good site speed.

• Nithin

Hi Peter,

I finally got some error messages to display and for some reason the exporting remote host was denying access to the media files for download. I double checked. The ULR in the xml file were all good. I could access the pictures manually in my browser. But it felt like the exporting host was blocking requests once a certain number of exports were allowed. So basically I had to run the import 10 times or so and then finally everything ended up where it belonged.

Glad to know that you got this resolved. Maybe you could enable debug log, the next time when you import/export so that we could have a better idea regarding what could have gone wrong there. You can find more details about debugging here.

I could see you opted for import/export plugin when Snapshot failed, it's strange that you were having such issues with Snapshot, it seems to be site specific issues. I could see you already have a thread related to Snapshot, one of the support staff will get back to you asap on that, regarding the observation you have made on that therad.

Please let us know if you still need any further assistance related to this thread, we would be glad to give a closer look, if needed. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin