Move site from multisite subsite to its own site install

Hey,

I just tried using snapshot to move from a subsite to a new single install site and ran into some issues using snapshot 2.4.0.6

Any users with superadmin credentials user did not transfer. I verified that the main (ID1) user on the subsite and new site had same ID, password, username, email address, and even nicename. After restoring the subsite to the new install, the admin user was lost and I was essentially locked out of the new site. I also noticed that another user (who was also a superadmin) did not transfer.

Also, although I selected "all files" in the original snapshot, none of the plugins transferred to new site either. Also, the current theme was not a selectable object when making the original snapshot to transfer (on subsite) just twentyten and twentyeleven.

This issue has managed to orphan many BBPress posts which you can imagine is quite a problem. The posts now appear to be from "anonymous" as opposed to the actual user.

Any idea/tactics as to how I can remedy this situation? Was I missing something in the transfer?

Thanks!
--
Pete

• Paul

Hey @Pete T,

Any users with superadmin credentials user did not transfer. I verified that the main (ID1) user on the subsite and new site had same ID, password, username, email address, and even nicename. After restoring the subsite to the new install, the admin user was lost and I was essentially locked out of the new site. I also noticed that another user (who was also a superadmin) did not transfer.

This is by design. When you create an archive of a sub-site under a Multisite system only users local to that sub-site will be included. The best option is go back to the source system and create a local administrator user on that site. Then create a new archive to be used for the restore.

Also, although I selected "all files" in the original snapshot, none of the plugins transferred to new site either. Also, the current theme was not a selectable object when making the original snapshot to transfer (on subsite) just twentyten and twentyeleven.

again, this is by design. When you create an archive of a sub-site under a Multisite system only the media files are included. not the Themes and/or Plugins.

Your option here is to go back to the source system and on the primary site run a backup just for the themes and plugins. Do not include any database tables.

I know this is klunky. But from the perspective of Snapshot when an archive is created it does not know the intentions of the archive. Meaning it does not know if this is simply an archive of the site or an export because the client who owns the site is moving to their own hosting or if the intention is a migration.

• Pete T

Hey @Paul,

Ah I get it. Let me give it a shot. Maybe an option with the ability to include superusers (or all users with credentials on the subsite) would be beneficial. For example, when deploying to a new site with no users (in the case of subsite to single site) the intention would be to just maintain the proper user base so things like BBpress posts do not get orphaned and marked anonymous. It would be really nice to use for deploying subsites out of multisite into their own installs when they outgrow that environment (or need proper SSL certs or static IPs, etc.).

Thanks!

• Paul

@Pete T,

Thanks. Yeah we are looking into that. But we wanted to start with the concept of the archive already being made. So for example on the source site you have the sub-site archive set to some regular interval. Wanted to have this so a special archive run would not be needed.

And obviously if we automatically include the superadmin then when transferring the sub-site from one Multisite install to another you may then non-intentionally introduce superadmins to a system where you they are not wanted.

But yeah, I see your point on the BBpress issues. Maybe we will make this an option in a coming release.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.