Move WP Without WP Admin

Hi,

I need to move a WordPress site but I do not have access to the WP Admin. I have access to the FTP and database manager.

I tried to follow these steps but i am left with the error message:
500 Internal Server Error

Does anyone know any other way of moving the site or how to fix the error?

Thanks,
Benji

• Nastia

Hello Benji , I hope you are doing well!

500 Internal Server Error, it's the most common error. Usually, it means that the site's resources are not enough.

Since you have access to FRP, please edit the wp-config.php and add the line bellow to increase the PHP memory:
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '3000M');

Add it just before the “happy blogging” line.

If this will not help try other methods described in this blog post:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

If this error persists, then the .htaccess file might be corrupted or not working on a new server. Keep a backup of the .htaacess file on your local device and delete it from your site's. Check if the error is gone after that.

Let me know how it went!

Chers,
    Nastia

• Sajid

Hello Benji,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Did you get your site back now ? I mean the 500 Internal Server Error is gone now ?

If yes then the best way to move a website from one host to another is using a backup/restore plugin like Snapshot Pro.

I know you can not access your WordPress admin area. To fix this issue, you can create a new admin user via phpMyadmin by following this article.

Once you are able to login to your site as admin then create a snapshot backup archive using Snapshot Pro plugin and restore on your other site.

The following article will help you go through this process if you chose this route.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-migration-snapshot/

In case, your site is still down with 500 Internal server error then please send in cPanel details so I could take a closer look.

You can send the requested details via our secure contact form in following format.

Subject: "Attn: Sajid Javed”
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference

Make sure you select "I have a different question" from dropdown as seen in attached screenshot so it get assigned to me and sent privately (otherwise it will posted in public form - so its important):

Take care and happy new year :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Benji

Hi Sajid,

I have added a new user in the database so I can now access the WP dashboard. I tried using Snapshot Pro but it didn't work, I got the following error message:

An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting. Double check Snapshot settings.

I then tried a plugin called Duplicator and I got an error on that as well.

If you are able to help, with a full backup of the site in Snapshot, I should be able to successfully move over my site.

I will send over my login information privately.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Benji

• Sajid

Hello Benji,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Thanks for sending in FTP and WordPress admin details. It helped troubleshoot this issue faster.

After some try and troubleshooting, I found the culprit. You have very heavy backup files in ai1wm-backups folder. Each file is approximately 4 GB and there are four files so its about 16 GB of data there. That's the reason it was throwing that error when it comes to creating snapshot of files.

I went ahead and excluded this folder from Snapshot -> Settings -> Global File Exclusions by adding its name in the text area. You can also do this by simply adding the folder name if you don't want it to include in your snapshot archive.

Please run the snapshot now and it should work this time.

The following article will help you go through this process if you chose this route.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-migration-snapshot/

Also, instead of the backup restore method I mentioned above, I have a more easy recommendations for you for restoration. The key is restore script to do all the heavy lifting on destination server.

1. Go to Snapshot -> Managed Backups and initiate a backup by clicking on Backup Now button. (Make sure you keep this window opened up and stay connected with internet until its finished).

2. Once finished, go to My sites on The Hub and click on BACKUPS tab of lawfriend.org site.

3. Click on the most recent cloud backup restore button (see screenshot) and follow the steps to restore on your destination server.

Aside from migration, I also noticed some files that are not part of WordPress core. If you are not sure whether they are useful for you then I would strongly recommend scanning your site with WP Defender plugin before migration.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.