Moved servers and now wp-config doesn't work.

I just moved over to a new server. When I first loaded up the screen was white screen. Via some advice from the internet I deleted the wp-config.php file, went though the startup steps again. This brought the site back on, but it is not multisite, nor is it handling the domain mapping and other settings from your plugins and others. Can anyone help me get the wp-config.php file working again or have an idea on why it would not work on the new server?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Carlen,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I think @Mike made a good point here. Turning on WP debugging may help a lot here as there may be many different reasons for this.

The so called "White Screen of Death" is very often caused by:

- wrong db credentials configuration in wp-config.php file
    - too low memory limit; to fix it make sure the following line is in your wp-config.php before the "/* That's all, stop editing... */":

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M');

- some paths/URLs inside the database tables not changed: this however is usually an issue in case of domain name change

- sometimes files get broken during the upload, so it may be good to simply re-upload everything to a new server

- finally, if this doesn't help it may be caused by some plugins that got "confused" after being moved; this would mean disabling all off them by changing the name of the /wp-content/plugins folder, logging to the dashboard and if the dashboard works: changing the name back and then re-activating all the plugins manually.

Let me know please if any of this helped!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.