Moving 3.88 site to new server with latest update 4.23

I'm moving a site to a new host. It uses version 3.88, the latest update 4.23 completely breaks the site and theme. What would you do? Keep version 3.88 on the new host and forget ever updating it?

Or try to work around the errors (below). Headers already sent and Walker errors. The site loads with php errors in the header, but the wp backend doesn't load at all with 4.23.

--------------
Strict Standards: Declaration of headermenu_walker::start_el() should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::start_el(&$output, $item, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $id = 0) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php on line 500

Strict Standards: Declaration of footer_walker::start_el() should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::start_el(&$output, $item, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $id = 0) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php on line 569

Strict Standards: Declaration of footer_walker::end_el() should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::end_el(&$output, $item, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php on line 569

Strict Standards: Declaration of footer_walker::walk() should be compatible with Walker::walk($elements, $max_depth) in /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php on line 569

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php:500) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-login.php on line 425

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php:500) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-login.php on line 438

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php:500) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 925

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php:500) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 926

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php:500) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 927

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ultimate/public_html/wp-content/themes/BriggsDesignGroup/functions.php:500) in/home/ultimate/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1196

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Beth,

You'll have to update the site eventually (security being the chief concern), but how soon that can happen would depend on the situation.

It's possible that a new theme would be required here, but I would first want to try cloning this site of yours to a test server, and ruling out any plugin conflicts by disabling all of the plugins before performing an upgrade.

I am curious as to whether you have WP_DEBUG enabled though, seeing as Strict Standards messages should only be showing up when that's set to true. The warnings though would be something to consider, curious as to what's around line 500 of your functions.php.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Beth

Thanks Michael. It's a pretty old site, needs a major overhaul anyway. My client bought a new business and they are integrating it with their existing business. The plan at this point is to pull in a new theme that is update-friendly when we redesign the site.

I realized part of the problem was using Chrome with a GoDaddy VPS server. They require you to change your hosts file to preview a site instead of a bare IP (wordpress likes the full url anyway). I was getting into caching issues, host file not updating until Chrome is restarted. Edits were being done on live site instead of test site. Garrr! One of those days where nothing goes as planned!

Finally got the site loaded as-is in v3.88, last goodie to deal with is setting file permissions so I can post images and edit template files in wordpress.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.