moving a multisite from one domain to another

Hopefully someone can help me with this because I really don't want to redo this whole multisite. Here is my problem. I have a multisite that I created on a testsite. it's actually called testsitetestsite.com/easco
OK my first move was hey I have wp twin I can just use that and move it over like I do with all of my sites. Yeah...no it doesn't work.
So then OK lets just copy the whole site over to the new domain and then copy and import the database into another database then connecting it in the config file. Uh...no that didn't work either. Then I went and bought a $99 program to help me move the database over and supposedly it should work...right? No. So now i'm at the point where either I have to recreate the site and multisite (which isn't even working anyways because it's stupid..sorry really irritated with this) And I do not want to do that! Or find some guru hopefully on here that could help me figure this out, because i'm at my wits end with this.
Thanks,
Brian

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Brian,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Sometimes, Moving WordPress can be a pain. However if done properly and step by step, it ain't that difficult either :slight_smile:

Here is a great article on it : http://halfelf.org/2012/moving-wordpress-multisite/

and here is one more : http://www.totalcomputersusa.com/2012/11/moving-wordpress-multisite-to-a-new-domainserver/

Can you try that out please ?

PS : Please make sure to take a proper backup before you start moving.

Let me know if you get stuck or if that doesn't work and I will be around !

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• lol
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,
    I used to use (not very pretty ...) a simple and free tool to make changes in my databases in the event of migration: "search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases"

http://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

I just have to copy the script in my root directory, call it in a browser and make my changes (do not forget to delete the script, it's a major security risk if it remains in the site root ...)

I hope it will help.

Laurent.

• Brian

Well I just got done replacing all of the urls etc. I actually just used a SQL script to find and replace the tables
    UPDATE table_name SET column_name = REPLACE (
    column_name,
    'replace this item',
    'replace with this item');

worked pretty good. So now I am copying over my site to the new domain. I already changed my current site to the one it's going to.

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
    define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'eascoassociates.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/easco/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

So really praying that it will work once it's copied over. if not I might go bald from tearing my hair out. This has not been a happy experience trying to move this multisite lol

I'll let you guys know.

• Brian

so everything was copied over etc etc and this is what i get when I type in eascoassociates.net
    Not Found

The requested URL /easco/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

also for some reason the url changes to eascoassociates.com/easco
    which is weird because the site is eascoassociates.net
    any ideas?

--------------------------------------------
    okay I put the wrong url in the config file. So changed that and now i'm getting

Error establishing a database connection.

Bahhh!

• Brian

ok got that moved over and now i'm getting an error
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/easco/public_html/wp-config.php on line 27
    that line is my password. Not sure what is wrong with the syntax as I can't find anything.
    ---------------------------------
    nope it was on line 24 missed a '
    But now we are back to Error establishing a database connection. Holy crap this is so frustrating!

• lol

Hi Brian,

I usually proceed as follows:

- Backup of the complete directory (Site1)
    - Dump database (db1)
    - Creation of Site2 and a new base for site2
    - Copy files (and files CHOWN) from Site1 to Site2
    - Import the Dump (db1) in the new database (db2)
    - Changing the wp-config.php with the password of the new database (db2)
    - Edit links of the new database (db2)

If it's not too late: don't move file or db, just copy and dump (thereby you'll keep your website up and running in case of problem ...)

Laurent.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Brian,

Sorry for chiming in late here. What is the current status ?

@Lol thanks for your support on this one :slight_smile:

Brian, if you are still facing issues, I would like to have a closer look. I will however need access to all the details for login like hosting FTP, php myadmn etc.

Would that be okay to send it over to contact at wpmudev dot org and mark the email to my attention with a link to this thread ?

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.