Moving a site out of MU to it's own

I am currently running Wordpress in MU mode with 4 websites. I want to move one of these websites to as a separate stand-alone Wordpress installation. What would be the best way of doing this?

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

If you aren't using a plugin like Backupbuddy, which can handle the export of individual sites to create a stand-alone installation you are pretty much limited to doing it manually.

That means setup your new WP install. Theme it as needed. Add relevant plugins as needed and run the standard export from the original subsite under Tools => Export and import that file into the new install using Tools => Import => Wordpress, being sure to check the box during the process to download and save the media files to the new media library.

The manual way is actually pretty easy. With troubleshooting and screwups you can probably be done in less than an hour.

Once you've verified the look, feel and content of the new site you can then archive or delete the subsite from the multisite install. Don't forget to setup your domain names correctly so they point to the right directory in your file directory (which would be the directory where your new install resides) - you would use cPanel to do this.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello ajaffarali,

The best and the easiest approach will be using the inbuilt Export / Import tool. From the Multisite export all contents of the sub-site and then import them into the single domain.

- Move the theme
    - Move plugins
    - Export the sub-site
    - Import to the single site.

Good luck!

• ajaffarali
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Arun-

I created the snapshot from the MU server however, it does not show up in the Snapshots list on the new server. It's definitely uploaded to the right directory (wp-content/uploads/snapshots) as I can see the other snapshot I created on the new server- which is listed in the Snapshots plugin.

How can I import the snapshot from the MU server to this single server and get it to see it so I can try restoring?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ajaffarali,

I have made the topic of this post the Snapshot plugin since that seems where you are hung up at the moment of your last post.

Have you managed to resolve this or should I see if I can get the lead developer in here to advise/advice as to why the snapshot file is not showing up in your Solo installation?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

The Snapshot plugin will not help with migrations at this time. Migrations is part of the plugin roadmap but the current version of Snapshot only does a database dump. Reading through this thread if you just need to re-export the database to correct the categories then, yes, snapshot can help.

Under your multisite install go to Network Admin. Look for the Snapshot menu option. Go to the Add New menu. There you will setup a one time backup of your sub site's database. Once you complete the snapshot you can then download the .zip file to your local system. Once you have the download zip file unzip it. You will see all your database tables with the .sql filename extension. You will need to import these into you new site manually.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there, just checking in to see how this is going?

Do you still need further help or are you all sorted now?

Just to echo, BackupBuddy is a very popular choice from what I see and can handle migration.

If you need anything else then please feel free to reopen the thread or create a new one.

Take care and have a great weekend.
    Tim.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.