Moving and importing single sites into multisites.

Hi All,
This is probably a noob question, but I have been asked twice this week to move a single install of WordPress into a multisite environment.

The first is a site that will be the main site in the network.
Easy enough I guess.

The second is a client with five sites and five separate domains that wants to move them to one main domain and four sub sites that will have the domains mapped to the sub domains.

My question is... What is the best way to completely package up a WP site media, plugins, themes and settings to then unpack them in a new sub-site installation? I need an exact clone except it will be sub site instead of a stand alone site.

I guess the follow up would be... can this be done with an entire network? What is the best way?

Thanks for your feedback.

• Ash

Hello @Richard

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

First create a network and 5 subsites. Then, you can use Tools > export and import that file into the subsite.

Then you need to install all the plugins that 5 domains have and enable those for the corresponding subsites.

But be sure, you will still have some problem I think, but not sure what are those. Also, you have to set the plugin settings again.

Let's start with these and see how it goes.

Always keep a backup of last working files :slight_smile:

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.