Moving from 16 Databases to 256 Databases

So I installed Multi-DB and set it up for 16 databases…..and have outgrown it. What is the process to move up to 256 databases?

• jayvega
    • Flash Drive

Hi Licigamarketing,

I am working with Multi-DB myself. I curious what was the total sites and how well did Multi DB distribute the load? What became your limiting factor for your databases? How many sites/blogs did each database top out at?

I am new at this myself, so I would be interested on knowing so that I properly configure Multi-DB correctly from the beginning as well.

• liciagamarketing
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Jay for me,

I have over 800 sites. I created 16 DB, and it split them pretty evenly.

Although I will state that the VIP blog didn’t work at all! Tried it 4 times, failed every time. Needed to go ahead and move some files manually, not a tedious task, but one that needed to be done.

That being said, I am anticipating quite a bit of growth. A minimum of 10x growth, possible 100x growth over the next 12 months.

I am in the midst of having my theme optimized, and am moving to a dedicated lightspeed server to ditch the old apache interface.

I might actually just take all the smaller databases, back them up into 1 large database and do the process all over again….and create the 4000+ databases just for kicks.

• jayvega
    • Flash Drive

Liciaga,

Hey, thanks for all the feedback. Had you ever considered using the Mutli-DB Remote Host in your new setup? I was thinking of dedicating a Remote IP to all my DB so that I could off load them to a dedicated server down the road. Any comments?

• liciagamarketing

If I was going to offload my DB’s…..I would probably do 4 dedicated servers….right now, all my sites use some static images that I’m thinking of serving through s3 & cloudfront anyway. Plus using cloudflares $200/m plan for DDOS protection as well.

Considering hyperdb as well. The thought process that I have is that my host provides daily backups off site. So if I backup my databases daily, I can always go in and change the IP addresses in the dp-config.php file and have them served anywhere in the world.

• jayvega
    • Flash Drive

Liciaga,

Interesting you made those comments. I was considering Cloud myself, hoping it could alleviate some of the pains associated with growing too swiftly. Just move the scroll bar up a couple notches and I’ve got another couple Gigabytes of RAM or a few more CPU, whatever I need to keep up to the demand.

Unlimited growth, quick, simple, fast…

Which brings up another issue – the Upload Folder. I’m planning on having a very large number of images. I have researched that the entire ‘wp-content’ folder can be hosted on a remote IP as well. Did you give any thought to processing your uploads on a different host as well? I’m wondering what performance boost that would give to the overall strategy of sustainable growth.

I know we are getting away from your initial subject, so you might want to repost your initial question. I am also interested in understanding the ramifications of choosing too low a number in Multi-BD as well.

• liciagamarketing

Ari,

I figured it out.

Quick question though….after moving the blogs, should you keep the move-blogs.php file on your server? Is it necessary?

Kindly advise…..I think that having people seeing the names of your databases exposed would be an issue.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Quick question though….after moving the blogs, should you keep the move-blogs.php file on your server? Is it necessary?

No, it’s not necessary. You can remove it.

1 more question….are we supposed to change wp-config.php to reflect the new global database after installation? Or are we just supposed to leave it alone?

Well, it works doesn’t it?

If it works there’s no reason to change it. :wink:

I am marking this issue as resolved.

Cheers!

Ari.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

are we supposed to change wp-config.php to reflect the new global database after installation? Or are we just supposed to leave it alone?

if you are running multi-db then this isn’t looked at or used, so it doesn’t matter really.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.