moving from Wordpress to Multisite Wordpress installation

Hi,
I have a client who's single domain installation needs to be moved to a multisite Sub-domain installation. I've backed up her site and moved it into a sub directory for safety. I did a clean install into the root dir and followed the steps up to getting Network Setup enabled under the tools menu.

When I get to this screen I see "Warning: an existing WordPress network was detected. Please complete the configuration steps. To create a new network, you will need to empty or remove the network database tables."

What steps should I take to do this?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

It seems like the first attempt of installing Multisite failed and that is the reason you are getting that error.

You can remove WordPress Multisite from that install using the guide here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-uninstall-wordpress-multisite/ and then retry installing that.

If you still face any issues, please let me know and I will then have a closer look :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Vanessa
    • Flash Drive

Why would I do this? I'm not sure what difference it will make if the database tables still exist? I could delete the installation and re-install and have the same result. If the database still holds those tables, then they will remain won't they? So the first 2 steps of what you have proposed are not required? Surely there's an easier way of just clearing out the tables? I just need to know which tables to clear out.

• Domas
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello Vanessa,

I hope you are well today and thanks for posting back!

I think there are missing some lines in your wp-config.php file. Have you added these lines into your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
    define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);

Above "/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */". line?

Kind Regards,
    Domas

• Vanessa
    • Flash Drive

If I add those lines and log back in the Network setup asks for the following to be added into the wep-config-php

define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'transcendhypnotherapy.com.au');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

Does the above replace what's in the file at the moment? Which is:

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

In order to fix it faster, I need to have a closer look.

Can you please send me your login details via our secure contact form

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include FTP and WordPress super admin details.

4: While filling the form, select "I have a different question" from the list.

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers, PC

• Ash
      • WordPress Hacker

Hi @Vanessa

I believe @Mac will take a look as soon he is online.

Just want to add my two cents here. There is no problem if old table exists in your database. Problem is, if you use same existing database for new multisite.

You need to create a new database in your phpmyadmin and use that database for new multisite installation.

That's great that you kept a backup of whole site, don't forget to keep a backup of the database too.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
      Ash

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for sending the information.

Ash is right, if you need a new multisite installation then you should backup your old DB and create a new one. But that will not keep your old site data. That will have to be exported and imported.

But if you want to change the same site to multi site, you can use the same database.

Having said that, I tried to visit your site and see the below error :

Hmm, transcendhypnotherapy.com.au isn't loading right now.

The servers that run transcendhypnotherapy.com.au are having some trouble. This is usually just a temporary problem, so you might want to try again in a few minutes.

Seems like there is an issue with your hosting. Can you kindly double check and confirm if that is the case ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Vanessa

I hope you are well today!

I'm terribly sorry for the delay on this issue.

I can confirm that your main site is accessible (at least, I can see it too), so we know that's working: transcendhypnotherapy.com.au

I've backed up her site and moved it into a sub directory

I presume that means the old site has been physically moved to a folder outside the new install, correct? (screenshot).

One thing that isn't clear in this thread though: did you create a new database to use for the new multisite install? If you are using the database from the existing, backed-up site, you will likely get errors.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@Vanessa

I just realized nobody replied to your question about wp-config.php.

Yes, whatever is shown in Network Setup is exactly what should be added to your wp-config.php & .htaccess files.

If the only lines in your wp-config.php are currently:

...then yes, you will have problems because essential rules are missing.

If Network Setup is telling you to add this:

define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'transcendhypnotherapy.com.au');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

...then that is exactly what wp-config.php should contain.

You can include the following:

...which simply ensures that the Network Setup screen is still available in your network admin. Without that line, that screen will disappear once the network is set up.

• Vanessa
    • Flash Drive

Hi Patrick,

Here's what I did exactly:

1. Built the original WP single installation in the root directory.
    2. After the client needs had changed, I backed up the installation and then moved it to a subdirectory (public_html/transcend)
    3. I then installed a multisite WP installation and followed the instructions (including adding the lines in the Network setup screen).

This is what I see in PhpMyAdmin:

So I can see both DB's and the error message if I follow the instructions (in the Network Setup) indicating that it can see the db. So do I need to delete the existing single DB (first install) and if I do that, can I still import the old site back in (I have it backed up).

Thanks

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi @Vanessa

I am really sorry for the delay in your thread. It should be solved earlier.

I just checked your site and it seems you have network installed already. And I don't see that warning. Is the network created with new database? And you want to use old database?

Please suggest. Also, if you need more help, please send me your cpanel details to me:

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (cpanel) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Vanessa,

I had a look and was able to create a subsite on your network. (Just replied over email with the site link)

Can you kindly check and see if that is working fine now ?

Please advise and keep us posted while we standby to help you !

Cheers, PC

• Vanessa
    • Flash Drive

Hi Ash and Mac,

The original URL is the transcendhypnotherapy.com.au and yes I have a back up through a Site Migration plugin (All-in-one-site-migration) where I can reset the URL from the current (still available seperate site) of http://www.transcendhypnotherapy.com.au/wp-admin to just transcendhypnotherapy.com.au. The issue is that I can't seem to just install that plugin at the blog level, only at the network level. And I just want to install the site at the blog level.

Because I can still access the old site, I could use an alternative method if you think that would be better? The current plugin creates a zip file that contains all the files and database contents.

But I'm open to alternative ways.

Thanks again.

Vanessa

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi @Vanessa

In a multisite you can't install a plugin in blog level. All plugins need to be activated in network level. Then you can either network activate or not.

If you network activate a plugin, the plugin will be available for all blogs. If you don't, then the blog admins can activate the plugin if they want, from their admin panel.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi @Vanessa

I wonder why didn't you convert that single site into a multisite?

Are you open to delete the current multisite and convert the old single site (keep the backup that you already made) to a multisite?

If yes, please send me your cpanel info and I will try to convert.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
      • WordPress Hacker

Okay :slight_smile:

In that case, please send me your cpanel login details and current single site admin details. Also include as much info as possible in the email.

Send email to contact@wpmudev.org with subject "Attn-Ash" and a link of this thread.

Also note that, this is 0700 am here, too tired right now. So, I will take a look tonight.

Cheers
      Ash

• Vanessa
    • Flash Drive

Hi Ash,

Thanks for that. Happy to wait, thanks again. Just keep in mind that I would like to beable to have it setup so I can have more than one URL associated with the network install (the original and at least 2 new unique urls).

Vanessa

• Vanessa
    • Flash Drive

Hi Ash,

It all seems good :slight_smile:

So how do I plugin a new domain address (for the next site)? as the new Site setup shows that I can add to the existing URL but not put a new one in? (See image)

Do I need another plugin for this?

Also, how do I find out what steps you took to change a site to a multisite as I have another domain (mine) that I want to do that with.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Vanessa

I hope you are having a great day!

I'm glad to see that your multisite is now up and running. :slight_smile:

If you need to reproduce the steps takes by @Ashok to create another network at some time, here are the instructions you will need:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Although it may seem a bit overwhelming at first read, once you've done it, you'll see that it's a relatively simple process.

As for your last question, we usually ask that you create a new support ticket for an unrelated issue. But this is an easy question to answer, so let's take care of that here, shall we? :slight_smile:

So how do I plugin a new domain address (for the next site)? as the new Site setup shows that I can add to the existing URL but not put a new one in?

By default in WordPress multisite, when you create a new site in the network, the URL is like so:
    newsite.yourdomain.com

To change it to newsite.com, you would need another plugin, yes. Fortunately, we have one. :slight_smile:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

With the Domain Mapping plugin installed, you and your users (if they can create sites) can map new domain names to subsites in your network.

If you need more help with Domain Mapping installation, configuration, etc, please do create a new support ticket so discussions can remain relevant and on-topic.

Thanks!

As the issue originally reported in this ticket appears to be resolved, I'm going to mark this thread as such for now. But if you need more help on this issue, simply check the "Mark as not resolved" box below to re-open the ticket.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.