Moving Pro Sites from Main domain to Sub-Domain

I am currently running the news/media side of our community from the main domain location LARPing.org

I would like to run the hosting side of the business from hosting.larping.org. I have created this using WPMU like any other site.

At this point I just need Pro Sites to be running through that sub-domain site instead of the main domain location of LARPing.org.

This is extremely important and is rather paramount to us using this service.

Cheers,
- JG

• Alexander

Hi @Jordan,

This is actually more of a problem with Wordpress Multisite. Pro Sites merely extends Multisite giving it billing functionality. The registration process for Multisite needs to take place on the main site.

You could create a separate Wordpress multisite network installed at hosting.larping.org It would need to be a subdomain install so your sites would look like:

hosting.larping.org/client1
    hosting.larping.org/client2 etc.

In any case, working from the main site is a requirement for Pro Sites.

Best regards

• Jordan

I'm afraid this is rather pointless for our current needs. The goal was to create a network of sites built around our news location, not around a hosting location NOT connected to the discussion point of the community.

Is there no way of pointing the UI elements of this site to an alternate site on the network? I understand this may take some hacking of the core, but at this point it's rather important.

Thank you for your time and help!
    - JG

• Alexander

Unfortunately there's nothing I can recommend to make Pro Sites work from another site. It's entire structure is based off using the main site.

If you're interested in doing any hacking, take a look at the "checkout_page_load" function starting on line 671. You can even see there that the first thing that happens is aborting if we're not on the main site.

This is really more of a URL issue than anything. What might be a better solution is setting up your Multisite network at hosting.larping.org as suggested above. Then, use domain mapping to map the root domain back to one of the sub sites. This is somewhat of a backwards approach and I've honestly never seen it done before, but it might work for you.

Best regards

• Jordan

Yes, I understand the concept but feel it would be greatly over complicating the situation.

Would it be possible in this situation to run a sub-domain installation of WPMU, and then (by some magic) connect the root domain to the network running the sub-domain installation?

So LARPing.org and Hosting.LARPing.org would act as if on the same MU network?
    I could then map the hosting.larping.org domain to a new domain and thus completing the same task in the end?

Thank you again for the help!

- JG

• Alexander

Would it be possible in this situation to run a sub-domain installation of WPMU, and then (by some magic) connect the root domain to the network running the sub-domain installation?

There really isn't a way to link separate Wordpress installations like this. Two separate Wordpress installations just might end up being the way to go however. You could use User Synchronization to at least have your accounts synched together

If you want sites to be created and managed from hosting.larping.com, there really isn't much you can do to get around having that as the main site of the Multisite Network. New registrations always take place from the main site, and this is just how Multisite is built to work - Pro Sites really just adds onto this existing setup by allowing the billing and restrictions to take place.

I don't think it would be that complicated. You would need to start over though if you already have things setup on larping.com. I've never seen this done before, but here's what I would consider:

1. Create the hosting. subdomain.
    2. Install Wordpress in the directory and enable Multisite in Subdirectory mode
    3. Create a sub site to use for your main site.
    4. Use domain mapping to map "www.larping.com" to that sub site.

Best regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.