Moving registered users from mailpoet to Users

Hi,

First Let me explain, I had to open the topic again because I couldn't respond to Vaughan. For some reason there is no reply button.
I did check the options in membership and the box: "assign first subscription to existing users is checked"
but still my 30000 mailing list subscribers are not showing up.

maybe they need to be added as "users" first then they will automatically be assigned.

so how do i move them to being "users"

thanks

Aurora

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Aurora,

You can't reply to topics using the wpmudev dashboard plugin, you can only start topics.

If you wish to reply to a thread, you need to login to https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums using your browser itself, then you will see the reply to topic.

The issue you're going to have with importing the mailing list as users is the passwords will most likely not work, so all the users will have to reset their passwords again before they can login.

Could you provide a small sample of the CSV file you are using that has the mailing list users in so I can check their format?

I'll mark your other thread as resolved and we can continue here.

Thanks

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Aurora,

Having taken a look at the image you provided of the CSV, you will need to make a few changes to the CSV to be able to import it as an actual users CSV.

First, I would recommend installing the WP ultimate CSV importer plugin.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-ultimate-csv-importer/

Once installed.

Do an export of your current users

Click Dashboard > ultimate CSV importer > export

Scroll down & check the box for users (screenshot 1)

Once done, you will have a CSV file that looks like (screenshot 2)

So now you need to rearrange your mailpoet CSV to the same as the CSV for the users you just exported.

You can actually leave all the ID fields empty, but if you don't, make sure that no ID is the same for each row as they all have to be unique, the username & email address also need to be unique.

Once you have done all that, you should be able to import the finished CSV back into wp using the CSV importer.

Hope this helps

• Aurora
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Vaughan,

I installed the plugin and cannot activate, I get this notification:
    "Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.
    Make sure you have enable the PDO extensions in your environment before activate the plugin!"

Makes no sense to me. Can you help? thanks Aurora

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Aurora,

Extremely sorry for the delay, i've been off over xmas and fell ill for 5 days of my holiday, so haven't been feeling upto anything.

With regards to the sample CSV you provided,

Much of the info on there you can lose.

The issue you're going to have is creating usernames & passwords for each user.

You can make this easier using the following plugin.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/import-users-from-csv-with-meta/

With regards to the CSV provided.

The only usable data in the CSV is in the first 3 columns

Email, First name & Last name.

First off get rid of the data in the other columns.

rename the fields;

Email = user_email
    First name = first_name
    Last name = last_name

Now you need to add

Using the plugin above, first do an export from your existing site of the users.

This will give you a simple CSV file, so then you just need to copy your existing CSV, and add those to the CSV you just exported, noting. you'll need to create usernames, nicenames & passwords (users will need to reset their own passwords) as they aren't in the mailpoet CSV but WP will require them.

If you have any difficulties, let us know.

Thanks and hope you have a great new year.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Aurora,

with regards to the PDO extensions error. This is something your webhost will need to help with to enable them.

I had this on my server too when I first tried to install the plugin, even though the server support confirmed PDO was enabled. I gave them the message I was receiving and they soon had the server working correctly & the plugin installed ok after they had tweaked the php.ini file.

Hope this helps

• Aurora
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Vaughan,

Thank you for you reply.
    I followed the steps you mentioned above.
    Here are the 2 problems I am encountering:
    1. a column for "display_name" is required. if I leave it blank what will happen? (in some cases the person's REAL name would go in there by default, and that cannot happen. people will get really angry at me for this)
    2. I did a test upload with about 50 users and they all "skipped because user already exists" - it exists in mailpoet but not in the USERS. how do I bypass this (without having to delete ALL my mailpoet subscribers?)

thanks

Aurora

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi aurora,

You can simply make the display_name column the same as the username, so their display name on the site will then be their username.

With regards to #2, i'm not sure on this 100%, it might be a lot easier if we could take a closer look at the site & the DB to see what's happening.

Can you send your details using the following contact form (select i have a different question from the dropdown.)

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Mark for attn: Vaughan
    Include a ref URL to this thread.

Please include the following details;
    - Site login details (super-admin if on multisite)
    - FTP login details so I can take a look at the theme/plugin files (if needed)
    - CPanel credentials for your server so I can take a look at the DB using the CPanel Phpmyadmin.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.