Moving snapshot local folder wont take absolute path

Hi,

I am trying to set up a local snapshot folder.

I have created a folder outside the web root /backup/snapshots and granted permission and tested access at shell level for the user of teh web account.

However when ever I input /backup/snapshots into teh location field it gets ignored and stays with the default location in the web root i.e. ...../wp-content/uploads/ and wont take the absolute path provided.

Have I missed something, or miss understood something?

• Sajid

Hi @Locally

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I tested it on my own sandbox site and it did worked for me. I could successfully changed my local destination folder outside of the WordPress install.

I then initiated a new snapshot and it saved the backup file in updated/correct folder.

Make sure you add your full path of the new destination folder starting with forward slash (/). Also the new folder must not exists on new location.

Hope that helps :slight_smile: or feel free to post a reply if required.

Cheers, Sajid

• Fullworks

OK so I have expeimented

if my web root path is /home/myuser/public_html

I can set the setting to /home/myuser/snapshots

but , if I create a directory /home/snapshots (i.e. above the user )
    and chown myuser:myuser /home/snapshots so myuser has permissions

the setting /home/snapshots fails to get set.

Why do I want to do this? because by moving the snapshots out of the myuser directory stop them getting backuped effectively twice

• Sajid

Hi @Locally

I don't think your host would allow's you to store your website files outside of your allocated user directory. I have tried to remove the user name on my site and it did not worked for me either.

Your new local backup folder must be within your user directory allocated by your hosting.

Why do I want to do this? because by moving the snapshots out of the myuser directory stop them getting backuped effectively twice

I am sorry, but I am not sure what does this means. When you take backup does it create two zip archives ?

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Fullworks

"I don't think your host would allow's you to store your website files outside of your allocated user directory." If you run your own dedicated or VPS server, as many do then you can store files where ever you like.

"I am sorry, but I am not sure what does this means. When you take backup does it create two zip archives ?"

Let me explain further - when you backup a 'user' it backs up all files, which includes the snapshots.
    I don't want the locally stored snapshots backed up for a variety of reasons (not least that the snapshots are infact a backup of sorts )

Hence I want to store them outside the user 'area'.

If there a specific reason why the plugin doesn't like that?

• Sajid

Hi @Locally

Let me explain further - when you backup a 'user' it backs up all files, which includes the snapshots.
    I don't want the locally stored snapshots backed up for a variety of reasons (not least that the snapshots are infact a backup of sorts )

Yes, I got your point now. In this case you can store it outside of public_html folder or from outside of folder where WordPress installed. I did this and it worked for me.

The other options to avoid such situation is using remote destination like FTP, DropBox, AWS, etc..

Hence I want to store them outside the user 'area'.

I guess its not possible at the moment, for some reason. However I am flagging developer here for their feedback on this matter. He will post a reply here as soon as possible.

Cheers, Sajid

• Fullworks

I don't want to use remote destination, as the local snapshots are quite frequent and big and it I did remote send it would cost me quite a bit in extra bandwidth fees for my server.

I already do less frequent snapshots remotely.

"Yes, I got your point now. In this case you can store it outside of public_html folder or from outside of folder where WordPress installed. I did this and it worked for me."

so for
    /home/user/public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots

this worked for me

/home/user/newsnapshots

but this didn't work
    /home/newsnapshots

what I might try is

/home/differentuser/newsnapshots

• Sajid

Hi @Locally

so for
    /home/user/public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots

this worked for me

/home/user/newsnapshots

This worked for me too.

/home/differentuser/newsnapshots

This is not possible at the moment I am afraid.

If you want to see this option in future version of this plugin then please submit a new thread in "Features and Feedback" forum. This way it would be considered for development based on its popularity and demand amongst our other valuable member of community. The more +1's it will get the more chances of a feature request to be considered for development.

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.