Moving subsite to main site or subsite to single install?

Hi there,
Too much troubles with hosting the sub site of a customer. I'd like to give them the website which a sub site of my install.
What is the best option:
1. Duplicate my whole multisite platform on their hosting, and then clean it all - eliminating my other customers, sub sites, files and plugins? It will leave an empty main site and the site of the customer as a sub site.
2. From option1. move the sub site as the main site?
3. Export the sub site and install it as a single install on the new hosting?

What is the best option? Which is the easiest to achieve?
Critical installed plugins:
> WPML
> Domain Mapping (which won't be necessary after migration for the main domain will be on the new server)

Please advise,
Julien

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there,

I'm not sure I totally understand the request here, sorry. Let's see though.

So this multisite, you have no need for all of it's sub sites or it's members?

Or it's part of your multisite and you want to take it to it's own site?

I read your ticket a few times, I think you want their site out of your multisite and on their own install. If this is the case then our Snapshot plugin will help:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

You can backup a site within your multisite and then import it to it's own install elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

• Julien
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Timothy,
      That's it, take one sub site of my multisite install to put it on its own single install.
      Just to be clear on the process:
      1. Install Snapshot plugin on my MU
      2. Snapshot the sub site I need with themes, content and plugins
      3. Install a WP single version on the new server
      4. Install Snapshot plugin on this new install
      5. Import the snapshot of the sub site
      6. Restore the snapshot on this new install
      7. Clean what has been imported: inactive plugins, delete Domain Mapping etc.

One question: what about the URL, domain etc. how is it impacted in this process? And what should I do to correct any impact?
      Multisite plugins will run correctly once all restored on the single install? - WPML especially.

Let me know,
      Julien

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Julien!

Short answer: Yes!

1. Yes!
    2. Yes, but! Make sure to disable any multisite only plugins. They won't work on a single install. Any of our plugins that require multisite say so explicitly on the plugin page, so they'll be easy to find.
    3. Yes!
    4. Yes!
    5. Yes!
    6. Yes!
    7. Yes, but you should do as much of that as you can before you snapshot. No need to make room in the moving van for stuff you're just going to throw away at the new place. : )

After you move, you'll need to do a little work on your URLs to make sure everything matches the new domain.

Fortunately, that's pretty simple, if you follow this guide: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-move-a-site-from-wordpress-multisite-to-single-install/, starting at step 4.

I'm not explicitly sure on WPML, but as I understand it, that plugin works on both single and multisite installs. I'd consult their documentation, to be sure, but it should be okay.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.