Moving the blogs.dir directory?

Hey guys,

I'm on a virtual host that does not have a very large storage capacity, but I need some of the features for running a multisite install (like a static IP, better mysql functionality, dedicated memory etc.) I want to give my users a fair amount of upload space, but I'm worried about eating up my resources quickly. Is there a way to move the location that uploads are stored to another server? I assume that would mean moving blogs.dir, but I'm not really familiar with how this works. I have another server already with unlimited storage which is why I'd like to move it. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!
JohnS

• JohnS

@Timothy - Thanks for the info, Since I'm still considering using multi-db I didn't even look into w3, but I did check the Super Cache and maybe I'm completely misunderstanding it, but it appears that I still need all the files on my server for it to work and it will pull from copies placed on a CDN to help boost speed... Am I wrong? I still think that if I could move the blogs.dir folder to another server for now that would probably be my best option.

@aecnu - Hey Joe, Thanks for the heads up, I'll do some research and find out what the caps are, but from what I've heard I won't have anything to worry about yet. LOL, I wish it only cost $5/month!

Typical proof??? Then if it is truly unlimited then they only offer one hosting plan right??
    That's not exactly true, for instance although you may have "unlimited" (whatever that works out to be) storage, you may also need things like dedicated IP addresses, Dedicated Memory, Better Server Performance, Lifts on database restrictions, ability to create wildcard sub-domains, SSL certificates, and a ton of other things, hence the difference in hosting packages all the way up to high grade dedicated server solutions. But I'll see what I can find out as to how unlimited, unlimited really is, either way, I know it has a higher cap than my main server so it will still provide a temporary solution for growth until I find something better :wink:

• aecnu

Greetings JohnS :slight_smile:

thank you for your respected response and perspective :slight_smile: but I agree to disagree :slight_smile:

Once I have "Unlimited Storage" and/or bandwidth like many companies spin this - almost all the rest are upgrades which is also common with these same companies - but it is still only one "storage" or "bandwidth" plan.

After being in this Internet Market since 1993 and being CEO of two different major California Internet Companies (being moved there by them from PA) I am still the CEO of the original started in PA in 1993 and also currently CEO of another in Europe started 2007.

In the US I have seen unlimited claimed for everything from Dialup Internet Access to VoIP - and you know what? They all pitched unlimited and they ALL were limited.

UUNET Network Unlimited - nope sorry that unlimited was 200 hrs a month - static IP available for a few more bucks a month. Most of the others were 300 hours.

Today in VoIP the "Unlimited" is between 3000 and 5000 minutes a month and of course the upgrades i.e. more phone numbers, foreign phone numbers, etc. - but still not truly "Unlimited"

Even Comcast, Time Warner, etc. for the last several years have been trying to come up with a way to "Limit" their unlimited High Speed Internet calling it "Metered" - the first tests by Time Warner were done in Brownsville Texas and customers fled like rats in a sinking ship.

If it is unlimited then why a more costly "Metered" solution?

I am sure there is a way to spin this too ..... but as one of my Heroes so eloquently puts it:

“Truth is treason in the empire of lies.”
    - Ron Paul, The Revolution: A Manifesto

Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey JohnS

but it appears that I still need all the files on my server for it to work and it will pull from copies placed on a CDN to help boost speed... Am I wrong?

From the plugin:

Your website probably uses lots of static files. Image, Javascript and CSS files are usually static files that could just as easily be served from another site or CDN. Therefore this plugin replaces any links in the wp-content and wp-includes directories (except for PHP files) on your site with the URL you provide below. That way you can either copy all the static content to a dedicated host or mirror the files to a CDN

Specifically this part " this plugin replaces any links in the wp-content and wp-includes directories (except for PHP files) on your site with the URL you provide below. ". So I would believe it would work as you wish.

You would put all that static content on a dedicated host or mirror it identically with a CDN.

To echo what Joe said, Unlimited is just a sales blurb to attract customers, once you use to much you will be asked to upgrade or move on. Many do this under fair use policies, some claim you use to many server resources.

Many companies offer this for $5, some charge much more but the point Joe makes is that if you uploaded 10 TB of data they would have something to say. Not sure what the cost of a 2 TB HD is these days as last one I bought was about a year ago. I suppose $100 to $200+ is a fair price. My point is they need to make profit and if you used $500 to $1000 of HD/hardware plus bandwidth which aint cheap and then the other requirements it would be impossible for a company to offer truly unlimited.

That and the pipes are only so wide. I see hosts sell 10/100/1000 MBPS shared connections and claim its unlimited. Well just like pushing water down a pipe, it will only allow so much before it bottle necks.

But that is all something different to your current goal. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.