Moving Wordpress Multisite from /public_html/ to /addons/

A few days ago I tried moving my Wordpress multisite folder (which is set up as an Addon Domain) from /public_html/elevatesites.com to /addons/elevatesites.com.

When I changed the document root of the Addon Domain in cPanel to /addons/elevatesites.com, I got an error when visiting the domain on a browser.

To fix it I thought maybe it was the permissions, so I changed /addons permission to 750.

Still nothing worked.

My reason for doing this is because I read online that having two .htaccess files can affect the Addon Domain Wordpress installs - as there's another Wordpress installed in the root directory /public_html, which is standard Wordpress.

My questions are...

1. Is it important to install Addon Domain Wordpress installs in /addons/ as opposed to /public_html/ ? And why?

2. Is it possible to successfully move "/public_html/elevatesites.com" to "addons/elevatesites.com" and just reroute the Addon Domains Document Root without any issues? (I'm using cPanel)...

2a. And if so, is there anything else I need to do besides moving the folder and rerouting the Document Root?

Thank you!

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there Alex Ford,

How are you doing today?

My reason for doing this is because I read online that having two .htaccess files can affect the Addon Domain Wordpress installs - as there's another Wordpress installed in the root directory /public_html, which is standard Wordpress.

If the issue you're referring to is having both installations in the same exact folder without them having their own folders inside then yes you'll definitely have issues. You can still have a subfolder structure like this:

public_html/
        wp-admin/
        wp-content/
        wp-includes/
        anotherSite/
            wp-admin/
            wp-content/
            wp-includes/

and you shouldn't really have any issues as each installation has it's own folder.

Now with regards to Addon domains this would depend on the hosting provider but generally this should really work out of a box, what should happen is that new folder is created in public_html, a subdomain is created for the primary domain and it gets attached to the new folder so all you have to do is simply install WordPress in this new folder. I'd suggest contacting your hosting provider to double check on how this works with addon domains on that specific hosting.

1. Is it important to install Addon Domain Wordpress installs in /addons/ as opposed to /public_html/ ? And why?

I don't think this is important at all as I previously mentioned new domain should have it's own folder in public_html anyway so for new site you'd end up having new separate folder.

2. Is it possible to successfully move "/public_html/elevatesites.com" to "addons/elevatesites.com" and just reroute the Addon Domains Document Root without any issues? (I'm using cPanel)...

2a. And if so, is there anything else I need to do besides moving the folder and rerouting the Document Root?

If you got WordPress files in the root directory and all you want to give it is its own folder that should definitely be possible, please see here https://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.