MP Product Options + Clover Payments

I haven't used my subscription yet besides grabbing some plugins and it is worth it, but the one thing I totally need is an ecommerce solution with "smart product options" and pricing. If you guys can do this, I would probably be a member forever and try to never whine or bug you for anything else ever.. =)

No other e-commerce software I have seen yet will do much with product options besides like.. "Oh you want triple size? Okay, the $5 item is now $15." or, "Oh, you want the limited edition color and extra ribbons? +$3 +$7!"

I know every programmer probably hates this but, "It shouldn't be that hard." My product requires at least 3! + 7! + 4! variations or about 5K. Really it is more if things worked ideally. No, I can't just break each size off into their own products. Besides being horrible for user experience, "above" these options is at least 200! flavors. Yes, I can pull something off by dumbing down my product and giving people a huge single dropdown, but that sucks.

What we actually sell is the liquid fueling electronic cigarettes. There is a base price for sizes 12/36/72/144/275ml. Each item needs another option selection of 0-36mg nicotine in 6mg intervals. This doesn't typically affect the price, but ideally I could have a small markup or even -% pricing for low mg.

We also offer a sort of upgrade.. an additive which makes the liquid more like regular tobacco, anecdotally helping people quit smoking. There are 4 levels of this (besides "none") bringing an additional cost of $1.50-$3 per 12ml. This is a flat charge, so it needs to become $4.50-$9 when we go from 12 to 36ml. I need to be able to offer a small discount to the "base price" while keeping the flat charge in proportion.

That is the main functionality we need. TheCartPress almost has what we need, but MP has some advantages. I know the typical product options work great for T-shirt shop demos and most shop owners, but you can really set MP apart by offering this.

Bonus points for:

- allowing negative %, flat rate or logical modifiers
- allowing a field for customers to leave notes on each product (I think MP lacks this even per order)
- tying size/volume options to weight and integrating it with shipping (no single per-product weight)
- dropdowns with too few or too many items is bad UX. I'd love to see something like the button sets from jQuery UI Bootstrap, as we are trying to use Roots Theme: http://addyosmani.github.com/jquery-ui-bootstrap/

Clover Payments

Even though we are very hands on with our customers and saving people's lives, we have a hard time taking credit cards without astronomical fees and get lumped in with sucky vendors. Clover is new and ecigs are kosher with them, but the docs are intimidating to me: link

• Kimberly

diskette,

Hi and Welcome to WPMU forums!

I am glad you are excited about your WPMU products and just tickled-pink (does anyone really know what that means?) about your wanting to make Market Press your e-commerce solution :slight_smile:

I will tell you that what you are wanting is possible, however not out of the box.

Have you checked out our CustomPress plugin? It's an INCREDIBLY powerful tool, also very complex, but will allow you to do a fair bit of customization to your Marketpress Product form. That being said, we also offer a jobs board where you can hire any of our developers to create a custom interface for you in Marketpress.

- allowing negative %, flat rate or logical modifiers

Marketpress currently allows you to charge a special tax rate for specific items, I would imagine this hints at some functionality in the realm you're looking for

- allowing a field for customers to leave notes on each product (I think MP lacks this even per order)

Market Press does have a special instructions field available

- tying size/volume options to weight and integrating it with shipping (no single per-product weight)

Some users are already doing this on their own, so it's possible

- dropdowns with too few or too many items is bad UX. I'd love to see something like the button sets from jQuery UI Bootstrap, as we are trying to use Roots Theme

I believe the product of this will depend just as much on your layout planning as the theme+plugin. I think the developer should comment further on this one though :slight_smile: I'll flag him down to see if he has anything to add.

Best,

Kimberly

Edit: Almost forgot Clover Payments! I'm sure you're aware that Mpress doesn't currently have that gateway available, however same goes as before with the customization, I'm sure you could find someone to help you create that on the jobs board :slight_smile:

• diskette

Custom Press does look neat and I hate messing with templates, but I am pretty sure there is some code that needs hacked and it doesn't solve the problem. Yeah, I need to do some rather complex stuff with taxonomies and custom fields, but that is all on top of the "product option problem".

> Marketpress currently allows you to charge a special tax rate for specific items, I would imagine this hints at some functionality in the realm you're looking for

Negative tax rates may help at times, but this isn't even that important to me. What I was talking about is where an option sets a flat $ or % negative as part of the overall pricing calculus. Say we could set a 5% global discount.

($X +$Y -$Z) * (.95) is not equal to ($X * .95) +$Y +($Z * .85) --- hope that makes sense

> Market Press does have a special instructions field available

I'm on a clean install of MP and don't see any place per-product for customers to leave notes. (Some people use this to have a customer leave a message they want printed per-garment, for instance.) I don't even see a way for a customer to leave a comment at the end of the order, or any option for this.

> Some users are already doing this on their own, so it's possible

Well, I don't know how. Of course I am considering hiring a coder, but TCP team seems to be moving toward a solution with their Dynamic Options plugin moving out of beta in the next version.

MP is still good software for most use cases, I was just hoping to get the feature added. I'll probably still use MP simultaneously for a minimalist store for users to spend Cubepoints... until I figure out how to hack Cubepoints to do more things.

It just bewilders me that in months of trying to get this working, the closest to "smart options" I have seen is a $600 Magento plugin. I guess what we need is just too rare or complex =(

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.