MrketPress Customization

Hey Guys,

We have setup a Pro SIte Network recently and been having a hard time figuring out a Way to Enable HTTPS across the network (with domain mapping enabled) As pertians to E-Commerce capabilities.

Lately we found out that As per:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-plus-multisite-plus-network-one-ecommerce-checkout-page?tchv=b&utm_expid=3606929-72.AqocGS0YR5Gn_p3r6t6_AA.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

"global checkout is built in to the most recent version of MarketPress "

Which is AWESOME!!

But we come into a few snags that we really need answers to

From what I understand.. If we enable it a Global Checkout page
1. Not Possible to Use domain Mapping so a client can have his own .com domain
2. Not Possible to Use any other gateway besides Paypal

Where we really need it to Work like Shopify Where a user can do both points and Still have a checkout.network.com as a Global Checkout page.

Can you please give us some advice and direction on what we can do or maybe we are mistaken in our assumptions on top?

Thank you!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello stepheina,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Currently MarketPress global cart/checkout works only with PayPal and does not support domain mapping.

As for payment gateways. PayPal is the only option to use "chained payments", allowing you to charge some percentage of all transactions across the network. It may be possible to add/unblock other gateways but you wouldn't be able to charge that percentage of transactions and it would also require quite a lot of custom coding which is beyond the scope of this forum. You may then want to ask a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

That being said, I think there's been a feature request to allow use of other payment gateways but I'm not able to give you any ETA on it, nor can I promise you it will be added anytime soon.

As for domain mapping. This is caused by cross-domain cookie/security issues. Unfortunately, it's not possible to carry cookie data across different domains in a secure and reliable way currently so the global cart/checkout will only work with all stores working in the same domain (e.g. on sub-domains of the main domain of your site).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• stepheina

Thanks for the detailed response Adam,

This is what i am Afraid of.

The Websites in the network DO not have the be connected as per a customer being able to shop across multiple shops like Amazon or etc - and for us using the Marketpress is a Way to offer a single checkout page like shopify so we do not need to go through the hustle or the HUGH customization in order to offer SSL For each domain Seperately Somehow as per our question here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/all-we-are-using-prosites-for-our-multisite-platform

So We have a Dilemma - If We Enable Global Shopping Cart We are not able to use all payment methods and not Domain Mapping.

if we do not enable global cart, we have no clue how to enable SSL to customer domain checkout.

Can you please help?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello stepheina!

So We have a Dilemma - If We Enable Global Shopping Cart We are not able to use all payment methods and not Domain Mapping.

That is unfortunately true. Hopefully we'll be able to solve that in future but for now I'm not able to promise or predict anything.

if we do not enable global cart, we have no clue how to enable SSL to customer domain checkout.

If a global cart is not used - so all the stores are actually separate - you may use Domain Mapping so you may also let you customers (sub-site/stores admins) use their own domains.

SSL can be used in this case in two ways:

1. For main domain and its subdomains you need a regular wild-card SSL certificate; it will cover the main site and all the sub-sites available under sub-domains

2. For mapped domains you will either need a multi-domain SSL certificate (including all the mapped domains) or just a multiple single domain certificates - one for each domain. For MarketPress and Domain Mapping (for WordPress actually) it doesn't make any difference as long as server is able to handle SSL as SSL certification is implemented on a server level.

In the past it was often impossible to use multiple SSL certificates on the same IP. Now most of decent providers supports that and it's possible to install multiple single-domain SSL certificates on the same hosting account. I know from our members that WPEnginge supports it but most modern hosts should support it at well.

Therefore, if you host lets you use multiple SSL certificates on the same account it's just a matter of adding a certificate and setting a switch in Domain Mapping :slight_smile:

Are there any specific issues you're experiencing regarding SSL setup?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there stepheina,

I hope you're really well and don't mind skipping in! :slight_smile:

so... we are not looking for a maketplace - each shop is separate - why cant we use the global cart and domain mapping??

I don't know if I understand this right (please do correct if not) but I believe that it's the cross-domain cookie restriction, been there for security reasons. I quote, in case you missed it, what Adam Czajczyk stated before:

Unfortunately, it's not possible to carry cookie data across different domains in a secure and reliable way currently so the global cart/checkout will only work with all stores working in the same domain (e.g. on sub-domains of the main domain of your site).

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello stepheina!

In Prosites, you have no way to Sell SSL, and multi Site SSL UCC or Wildcard Costs $30 per domain.

Do you guys have a Solution??

Guys, I keep repeating and repeating and no one is giving us a real solution/advice

The SSL certification is not a WordPress feature. It's a server-level feature. It's not a plugin and not a theme. That's why there's no option to "sell SSL" via Pro Sites.

You can use Pro Sites together with Domain Mapping plugin but still - Pro Sites won't let you "sell domains" but only allow use of Domain Mapping for certain Pro Sites level. Then with Domain Mapping you can e.g. sell domains (if you sign up for eNom's reseller program or setup WHMCS) and also you may allow use of HTTPS on the mapped domains.

However, the certification itself is not a "WordPress thing". It's a server-side issue/feature. It's up to server admin (may it be you personally or somebody that's managing your server for you) to take care of SSL certification - purchase, implementation etc.

If you wish to sell SSL certificates to the admins of your sub-sites you may e.g. setup a simple store using our MarketPress and sell SSL as a "virtual product". After user buys a cert it will then be up to you to actually purchase certificate from certification authority and install it on a server.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.