MU Affiliate

I am not familiar with setting up Affiliate functionality on a website. I have read both the WordPress MU Affiliate on the site here and searched the forums, but I am still confused about some aspects of usage.

I am really confused how this works. Is there any documentation or videos on this?

I can see that I give affiliates a choice of banners that I assume you link back to a landing page that I would put into the html code, but I am not 100% sure that is how it works.

I have Supporter Plugin enabled and can't see anyway to to activate this for supporters. I have a test blog which I made a supporter, but don't see any options to become an affiliate. Where are these shown?

I don't understand how this records payments and people signing up.

Please could some one explain to me how this works. Much Appreciated.

• James Farmer

Hi AquaPebble,

It works via all sorts of magic cookie stuff :slight_smile:

If affiliate is installed as an mu-plugin you should see it under the 'Users' menu, activated by default.

It will then record whether users that arrive at the site via the affiliate link proceed to sign up, and calculate payments based on that.

For more general informatiomn I dug this up and it's a pretty good read:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_affiliate_marketing_work

We pay out thousands every month to WPMU DEV affiliates.

Cheers, James

• AquaPebble

@ James. Thanks for the information.

What I am really confused about is how to set it up on my website. I have installed it in mu-plugins.

I have read and re-read the install, looked at my main site and my test user site made for a test user, who has been made a supporter and a user that has not. And I just can't figure out exactly what I need to do. I looked at how it is done on this website as guidance.

From what I can tell:

1. Create an ad to place on my main site promoting to become an affiliate and linking to a landing page promoting becoming an affiliate and what to do. The only way I can see this tied into supporter is to have to tie this into the supporter advertising. Is this correct?

2. I need to link to the user page affiliate tab, but I am not sure how to link to the user page, affiliate tab. There are no guidelines for this. How do you limit this to been shown only on supporters or members profile?

3. I need to create banners for affiliates to put on their sites and link to the images in Affiliate settings. On the affiliates side a link to my site is auto generated into those banners. Where does that link take them? Is there a landing page I need to set-up? I can't see this option anywhere.

4. How do I link a payment page (if needed) to payment?

5. Can I use this for both supporter and membership plugins?

Please could some one clarify the process of setting it up. Thanks.

• James Farmer

1. Create an ad to place on my main site promoting to become an affiliate and linking to a landing page promoting becoming an affiliate and what to do. The only way I can see this tied into supporter is to have to tie this into the supporter advertising. Is this correct?

>> Sounds a good way to set it up, but I believe you can tie it into supporter payments.

2. I need to link to the user page affiliate tab, but I am not sure how to link to the user page, affiliate tab. There are no guidelines for this. How do you limit this to been shown only on supporters or members profile?

>> Just link to that admin page or provide instructions

3. I need to create banners for affiliates to put on their sites and link to the images in Affiliate settings. On the affiliates side a link to my site is auto generated into those banners. Where does that link take them? Is there a landing page I need to set-up? I can't see this option anywhere.

>>> Try it out :slight_smile: It just takes them to your homepage and registers that they are an affiliate link

4. How do I link a payment page (if needed) to payment?

>> It does that automatically for Supporter - Barry can assist as regards other forms of payment (although obviously we can't just hook into any of the multifarious payment systems out there).

5. Can I use this for both supporter and membership plugins?

>> You can for Supporter, not sure re: Membership - another one Barry can clarify.

• AquaPebble

Thanks for all you help James much appreciated.

I have looked at both plugins and can't find any settings connecting them, so assume that supporter automatically picks up the affiliate code from cookies.

However, I have noticed on my test users that non-supporters have an option to become an affiliate. I think it would be nice to have something like limit affiliate to supporters (yes/no).

I think it is a pity about being taken to a home page instead of a landing/promotion page aimed at selling the upgrade to supporter, but I suppose we can't have everything (yet) :smiley:

Hopefully in the future we can have affiliate also work for membership with a different commission structure for your subscription packages.

Now I have a good idea of what I have to do. Thanks. :slight_smile:

• Frank Warwick

I have just installed the Affiliate plugin and the link to the 'How to' is 5 years old and as Wordpress has changed so much in this time the documentation and images are way out of date.

The above conversation is 4 years old and it looks like nothing has been upgraded or added in that time.

In my network admin (multi sites) there is a tab for me to be an affiliate ... what the ... why?

No settings in the super admin area or explanation on how payment works i.e. percentage or fixed amount. How can it be set and no where to set it?

I have linked it into Pro sites, and in the pro sites settings it has no explanation on what or how the payment should work or what the setting are for ... it says 'Affiliate payment for one month' but what is this based on?

It does not associate with the different levels of pro sites I have set (i.e.. 4 different payment levels)

I would like to use this but it looks like it has been ignored and the functionality left behind as the world moved on.

Please let me know if I have missed the set up process somehow

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.