MU - themes - cannot change the theme on a blog

I cannot change the theme on any of the blogs in my MU installation.

My hosting provider recently moved servers and I am wondering if something has been corrupted or changed.

Where would I begin to look to figure this out?

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi LookSee China Canada

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member!

First of all, did it work before the hosting company moved servers?

It might be a good idea to do a fresh install of WordPress via your FTP. See our WordPress and Multisite Manual for more details on how to do this.

Also check if your themes have been network activated in your Super Admin Panel. If so, please network deactivate, go to one of your blog admin panels and see if it shows up after making this change.

Once you've checked these things and the problem still persist, we can move on to investigate it further.

I look forward to receive your feedback.

Have a great day!

GinaB

• Kimberly

Perhaps I can chime in as well, if Gina doesn't mind:

Disabled the themes. they don't show up in the dashboard but the theme is still used by the website.

This is the default behavior when you disable a Network theme (I've been changing one of mine a TON lately) :slight_smile:

I cannot change the theme on any of the blogs in my MU installation.

Are they not activating? Can you not see them when Networked Activated via Super Admin? Does it say it's activated then shows the old theme?

To be clear I asked if you needed anything more because Gina approached you with a Great answer and your reply sounded like you had made up your mind on your course of action :slight_smile:
    I was only trying to be respectful of your decision , my apologies

• Tydbytes

hahaha. Thanks Kimberly and no need to apologize.

However, I guess from my perspective I am not sure that telling me to re-install via FTP sounds like a Great answer.

When you do not work with this stuff on a daily basis there is a huge learning curve involved to become reacquainted with everything, It is not trivial, at least to me. It means hours and hours of time. So where do I find this time?

Anyway this stuff is percolating through my brain slowly and I will come to some conclusion. hahaha

Thanks for your help.

• marikamitsos

Hi LookSee China Canada

When you do not work with this stuff on a daily basis there is a huge learning curve involved to become reacquainted with everything, It is not trivial, at least to me.

I can totally sympathize with you. "Been there, done that". :slight_smile:
    If you need some help please feel free to email me at myname[at]gmail. I can probably send you a crush course to get your issue resolved.

Let me know,
    marikamitsos

• 3SixtyEvolve

@LookSee China Canada

Hope you're well and not having too much trouble after shifting servers.

Something to consider might be the file permissions. Might not be relevant, but definitely worth a look. The reason it might be this is:

1. You recently moved servers.
    2. It worked before, now it's not.
    3. Nothing changed in the DB.

So what else is different?
    The environment and permissions.

Some information about changing file permissions in WordPress:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

If you need any further assistance with this, please let me know. I would like to get this resolved for you, so all geared up to resolve this. :slight_smile:

Have a good day and look forward to your feedback.

Gina

Thank Kim for your assistance!

@marikamitsos
    Thanks for your great community support!

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi @LookSee China Canada

Just checking in to see how you got on with your setup. It's been a few days since we last heard from you, so I will resolve this thread, but please don't hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback from our Support Team. Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

All the best!

Gina

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.