Mulitsite - Buddy Press combined sign up - set up process

How do we set up Membership Pro to allow for a buddy press network and multisite network?
We would like to make a special WP install as a buddy press area for the members to enjoy community, content and education. At the same time we would like to allow the members to be able to create their own blogs ( websites ) on the network.

How would we achieve this particular arrangement with Membership Pro 2?

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Elizabeth,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The base of such setup would be WordPress Multisite. Here's what I'd do:

1 setup and fully configure (according to needs) standard MultiSite Network

Users will be able to register and create their sites

2 install and configure BuddyPress, preferably configure BP x-profile fileds also

This will work "out of the box" with Multisite

3. install Membership 2 Pro at the end

- create memberships
    - setup protection rules (which content should be protected with which memberships)
    - enable "Profile fields" add-on for Membership 2 (on "Membership 2 -> Add-ons" page) and select which of the BuddyPress x-profile fields should be used on registration page

Membership 2 integrates with BuddyPress and also fully supports Multisite.

This should give you a solid foundation for further customization (if necessary) practically out of the box as all these three plugins work together well and that's quite a common config.

In case you had an specific questions or needed further assistance on this, let me know please and I'll be glad to help!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Joel

This doesn't seem to be working for me. When I enable buddypress as a network plugin I get no options when looking at my main website, but I think I need it installed across a couple of my sites so I don't want to just activate on one. And when I have both buddypress and m2 installed I get an error that says two plugins are trying to use the same registration page (even though I turned on the add-on and use buddypress registration option). I need some help. I did start by installing membership 2 first if that makes any difference.

I want my users to have one registration, profile and account across my different sites (main one, job board, courses) And in 1 or more sites I want advanced profiles with custom fields and private messaging so I need to use buddypress. My users will not be creating their own sites.

I can't seem to get them to work together :slight_frown: please help

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Joel!

The BuddyPress plugin on Multisite works as a "centralized" profile base and it can't be used in a way that on some sub-sites there are additional profile fields and on some there are not. Plugin should be network-enabled.

You will also want to set different pages for registration in configuration. When a visitor comes across protected content and needs to create account, she/he will be directed to the Membership 2 Pro registration page that would also include x-profile fields. For a "register/signup" link you just link to that registration page that's set in Membership 2 Settings (though both will let user register anyway).

If you got more questions on this and/or need further assistance, please start a separate thread of your own. You may do this here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

This way we'll be able to better track all the information and provide you with more accurate help.

Kind regards,
    Adam