multi-able domain plugin

I have a question about working with the multi-able domain plugin....

When you add this plugin to the WordPress multisite install. it works great. i understand the concept and like it... here is is my question. the front page...the root of the domain.. is left wide open...meaning there is nothing on it . were the subsides with the wildcard domain are there but what about the root of the domain.. i would like to have the network login to the WordPress multi site install... or maybe a landing page with a free eBook or something with an email capture then to a redirect too the main site... i no that is possible... but what about the SEO value... or the all might google watch dogs... im just a little curious about this.... when you start getting in to coding, redirects, or other things i have a lot of question... but this one is on the top on my head.

if you do do a redirect... and you i do create a landing page.. first i notices i will not be created in the network. you will have to create it outside as a stand alone. so what happens there...

• Rupok

Hi Salem, hope you had a wonderful day.

I'm sorry I could not understand your query properly. You said, "the root of the domain.. is left wide open...meaning there is nothing on it". Do you mean your multisite main site homepage is blank? And you want to show some content on that page? Can you please mention your multisite main site link so we can have a look? I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

to a redirect too the main site... i no that is possible... but what about the SEO value

If you use a 301 redirect, then google is totally ok with that. It doesn't hurt SEO value at all because 301 means permanent redirect so search engines will look into new location for updating.

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Salem

Hi Rupok,
    Thank you for the response....but let me say. I should never drink cheap coffee...lol... for i have left out the true meaning to the post. I was just asking a question about why when you add a domain to the WordPress multi site install. It does not add or replace the ability to have a landing page or something? For the domain that was ADDED... not the primary...k...it was just a thought that because WPMU has put long hours and many cups of coffee. Bagels. And brain cell to work... I was just thinking out loud. Love WPMU. And thought that maybe it would be a great addition to cleaning up that add on domain. The *.site2.com to the site1.com works great. But the domain of site2.com is blank. I thought about redirecting it to the site1.com, but like i said it would be great if this function was built into the plugin. Or make it so that you can add a landing page. I don't know...

But just so you know there are no problems with the site, or sites just a blank page that needs to be redirected. Or something...

• Rupok

Hi Salem, hope you had a wonderful day.

The *.site2.com to the site1.com works great. But the domain of site2.com is blank. I thought about redirecting it to the site1.com, but like i said it would be great if this function was built into the plugin. Or make it so that you can add a landing page

If I understood your question right, then you are trying to redirect site2.com homepage to site1.com where site1.com is mapped to any subsite of site2.com ?

Well, you can do it with jQuery by creating a MU Plugin. For creating a MU Plugin, create a folder named "mu-plugins" inside your "wp-content" folder. Then inside that "mu-plugins" folder, create a file with any name and with a .php extension. Now paste the code inside that file and save.

<?php
    add_action( 'wp_footer', 'home_redirect_custom' );
    function home_redirect_custom() {
        ?>
        <script type="text/javascript">
          jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    		var path = window.location;
    		if (path == 'http://site2.com/') {
    		    window.location.href = "http://site1.com";
    		}
          });
        </script>
        <?php
    }

For getting more idea on mu plugins, you can go through this article: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/using-mu-plugins/

It will check your current URL, and if it's site2.com homepage, then it will redirect to site1.com homepage.

Please let us know if you have any confusion of if you are stuck at any point. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.