Multi-day Events with no time

I have an event that spans multiple days without a time set for either start or end. Is it possible on the display of this type of event to hide the time (from 12:00 am) from showing?

Check this page out for an example: http://www.maryville.edu/events/2012/07/criminal-justiceforensic-science-summer-institute/

Change this:

On July 10, 2012 from 12:00 am to July 13, 2012 12:00 am

To say this:

On July 10, 2012 to July 13, 2012

Thanks!

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hey There!

Welcome to WPMUdev forums!

I’ve done some quick double checking and there doesn’t seem to be a way to make this automatically happen.

I’m going to move this to feature requests and let the developer know. I think a checkbox like “this is an all day event” would be great!

Best,

Kimberly

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

In the latest plugin release (v1.3, just released) we included a bit more detailed output that can allow you more granular control over what you display. In your case, after you update, you may want to add something like this to your stylesheet:

.wpmudevevents-date_format-start, .wpmudevevents-date_format-end { display: none; }

• sciamannikoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@ve, I’m afraid this won’t work

Times must be shown when they made sense and hidden when an even doesn’t have time: I’ve both cases and I can’t selectively hide them.

Also, even providing that all my events doesn’t include a time, hiding them labels becomes inconsistent and can’t be hidden.

After all, even the translatable string is not made properly.

This string…

On %s <span class="wpmudevevents-date_format-start">from %s</span> <span class="wpmudevevents-date_format-end">to %s</span><br />

should not contains HTML code and most likely must be splitted in three different strings (or more, if you’ll ever solve the issue of this topic).

Also this ending “br” tag: what’s its purpose, except adding unwanted space in most of the cases?

Actually the rendered dates string must be shown according to the actual event’s dates. Some examples:

1. If there is only one date, is must show something like “On %1”

2. If there is only one date and one or more times, is must show something like “On %1 at $2” (where the $2 could be a comma separated list of hours)

3. If there are a starting and ending date “Starts on %1 till %2”

4. If there are a starting and ending date and times “Start on %1 at $2 till %3 at $4” (similar to case #2, but extended to the ending date)

I know that there could be multiple scenarios, but you’ve made the plugin in such way that it must also render the information properly, otherwise most of his feature become useless.

In fact I’m not complaining about the back-end part: it’s very great! I just find that the front-end part has been neglected.

Again, in my opinion (and not only mine), the only viable solution to make it easier to you to handle all possible scenarios is the one discussed here.

And frankly I thought you were already working on it…

(I hope this answer will reach you Ve… this forum… sigh!)

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

sciamannikoo

Thanks for chiming in. I am sure Ve will find your comments mostly helpful. I will let him know that there is more feedback here for him here.

In the future it helps to keep these sorts of continued discussions separate from member tickets, the OP has already stated above that he has found a solution to his answer. While this solution may not be suitable to you, the original poster may find it very useful. Since the OP has found his solution we are not likely to return unless we come across this again, especially as this ticket has no Open status. I would hate for your discussion to never actually find Ve, especially since it seems you feel very strongly about it. Please feel free to start another Feedback discussion anytime and reference any other tickets you have found in the community to support your feedback, i.e this one.

Best,

Kimberly

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@sciamannikoo, you do make a very valid point about event “kinds” (with or without time etc). Hopefully, I understand your scenario a bit better now, and it’s a bit more complex then I thought at first. Of course, my suggestion was a possible stop-gap measure, but I do agree that the plugin should be catering to these cases automatically.

• sciamannikoo

@kimberly: I agree with you and I usually do what you suggest. It’s just that… I didn’t notice this wasn’t my post :slight_smile:

This will be my last post here: in case I need to write more, I’ll do as you’ve suggested.

@ve: thanks! I really hope to see some improvements in the near future.

I’m developing two sites that relies to your plugin, but I won’t be able to move them to production until I’ll be able to make events works as supposed (unless the client agree to have only “dates” without “times” (hidden via CSS) until the plugin will provide a more versatile front-end).

Looking forward to some updates.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

ah @sciamannikoo

I hope you don’t mind but I will answer this with a bit of humor and some practical logic, I hope you can humor me…

referencing the ticket you linked to with Hakan’s reply… I cannot call the maker of my car and complain that the fact that my car radio only holds 5 preset channels. Although most cars have six, and I want 6, they did not design it that way. My arguing that it was not listed as only having 5 on the specification sheet won’t get me very far with the car manufacturer.

The thing is, your (and Hakans!) opinions are both relative to your situation. Hakan, being a developer thinks perhaps “This is how it was made, so therefore anything that isn’t broken, that is added in later, is a bonus or custom feature” (please do not forget there is a small language barrier as well, English words translate with minute differences, but big enough to cause issue with one’s personal understanding of something like this).

For instance, on the point of relative opinion, I don’t see it as a customization, I see it as a feature request. A feature that will enhance and improve the usability of this plugin. Albiet a needed one by the looks of things and the developer’s response.

And you, see it as a bug, something left out of the initial development that does seem to be missing from the plugins usage pattern.

All very valid points but relative to where we sit in regards to the plugin :slight_smile:

So, lets proceed with this: @vebailovity is the developer for this plugin and has responded in favor of your thoughts on this. Actually stating that you are right in-line with your thinking and says it would be an improvement in the way the plugin handles the information. So you can expect to see him do something about it :slight_smile:

The push from code to plugin usage in the real world is a big one, and the developer does need feedback like this to make sure it functions the way users need it to. Your thoughts are most welcome and appreciated :slight_smile:

Kimberly

• sciamannikoo

Kimberly, I agree with your point of view generally speaking.

What I see in this specific case is that the plugin shows back-end features that are misleading.

Frankly I don’t see it as a car radios with 5 preset channels when most radios have 6.

I see it more like a radio that had 5 preset, where 3 of them works only in AM.

But yes, you’re right, there’s a mix of different point of views and language barriers.

And I must also admit, a bit of confusion from my side about who’s the developer of which plugin.

All of this doesn’t help my already “smooth” temper :slight_smile:

I’m glad that Ve is agreeing with me and I’ll patiently wait the outcome of it.

I think I must stop hurting myself, checking each day my open topics, and start hoping to always get notified when there are updates :slight_smile:

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thank you for your patience with this. The latest plugin release (v1.4, just released) allows you to set up Events with just dates – no particular start/end times. The start and end timestamp strings will also be rendered accordingly on the front-facing pages for such events.

• sciamannikoo

Thank you Ve!

There is one more issue in this feature.

The “On {date} to {date}” string it’s fine, but when starting and ending dates are the same, we need a different string in the po file.

Maybe in English it doesn’t make difference, but in Italian and French a different string is really needed as we can’t reuse the “On”.

I’ll try to explain myself better.

“On” mean “It happen at this specific date”.

But when there is an ending date we need a string like “Starting on”.

Is a small difference, but when translated in Italian or French it really make little sense what appears like “Starting on {date}”, without an ending date.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thank you for the additional explanation, it really helped. I see your point about the need to differentiate the two, and I hope I understood the mode of differentiation entirely. I’m attaching a fixed version which uses different strings for situations where start and end day are the same. Can you please give it a go and see if it’s in the right direction?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.