Multi-DB and plugins

Hi,

Been resisting mutli DB for a while now, but seems can't get around it now with 18K sites and over 600,000 tables.

We installed it on another much smaller site and found that we had trouble with plugins, being a hit and miss if they would work or not.

What advice can you give me around this please?

Why would a plugin work on a single DB and not on multi DB.

What's the challenge?

Some of the WPMUDEV plugins require some special setting when activating in a Multi-DB set-up.

What if these are already installed?

Does that still apply?

Many thanks

Ralf

• 2Ps

Hi Phil:

Do you want to tell us which plugins you've had trouble with and we can consider those?

Not sure what you are saying exactly when .

Do you mean you need to alter the multi-db plugin to accommodate plugins?

Why would a plugin work on a single DB and not on multi DB.

What's the challenge?

Some of the WPMUDEV plugins require some special setting when activating in a Multi-DB set-up.

What if these are already installed?

Does that still apply?

Thanks
    Ralf

• 2Ps

Hi Phil, many thanks - been struggling trying to get our DB under control.

I'm kind of struggling here too, as I'm failing to formulate my questions in such as way that they are heard as questions and answered.

How can I do better?

I've been asking:

1) Do we need to alter the multi-db plugin to accommodate plugins? And if so: Why would a plugin work on a single DB and not on multi DB? What's the challenge?

2) Why would a plugin work on a single DB and not on multi DB?

3) Some of the WPMUDEV plugins require some special setting when activating in a Multi-DB set-up.. What if these (plugins) are already installed? Does this still apply?

And now a new set of questions from the person working on our DB:

"....does it have to be one of 16/256/4096, or can you do 16 -> 32 -> 64, etc? And, if you start with 16, can you later increase that as the # of blogs increase, or do you have to start at where you will end up?

the nice thing is that, from what I'm reading here, when mysql server 1 becomes loaded, we can easily add a second mysql server, add databases over there and the system *seems* to be smart enough to move blogs between them both …is that the case?"

I'd be so very grateful if you could answer the above questions, as the answers would create a lot of context for what we are struggling with.

Many thanks in advance

Ralf

• 2Ps

Hi Phil,

I'm really, really sorry to keep going at it but I don't get why you can not answer at least some of our questions above if not all?

1) When migrating to multi-DB, does it have to be one of 16/256/4096, or can you do 16 -> 32 -> 64, etc?

2) when one mysql server becomes loaded, can we easily add a second mysql server, add databases over there ?

3) Some of the WPMUDEV plugins require some special setting when / before activating in a Multi-DB set-up.. What if these (plugins) are already (previously) installed? Does this still apply?

many thanks in advance
    Ralf

• DavidM

Hi Ralf,

Working with Phil on this, I believe he's referring in general to your question regarding why a plugin would work on a single DB but not Multi-DB. Typically, plugins would just work, if they don't it's very likely they're trying to access the WordPress database directly with an incorrect table reference.

We'd really need to know a specific plugin to delve further into that though.

As for your further questions, it's best to post those to new threads in order to keep threads focused here. In hopes of getting those sorted for quickly, I'll go through them here.

1) When migrating to multi-DB, does it have to be one of 16/256/4096, or can you do 16 -> 32 -> 64, etc?

There's not currently a way to use other than those values. I can't recall exactly why, but the plugin is designed to work with those specific values.

2) when one mysql server becomes loaded, can we easily add a second mysql server, add databases over there ?

The plugin will try and access the database using the provided credentials. As long as your system can route it to the proper database given those credentials, I can't really see an issue with that.

3) Some of the WPMUDEV plugins require some special setting when / before activating in a Multi-DB set-up.. What if these (plugins) are already (previously) installed? Does this still apply?

As Phil was asking, we'd have to know specific plugins you're referring to for this. Some plugins require extra tables to be added to the global database in Multi-DB, but that's more a consideration on Multi-DB's part rather than the plugins themselves.

For that matter, as long as the adjustment is made in the config file for Multi-DB, there shouldn't be any issue with previously installed plugins as such.

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.