Multi-DB compatibility questions

Hey,
I had a few questions with Multi-DB install.
1). I read Multi-DB is not compatible with W3TC. Is Multi-DB compatible with DB-Cache or any other Database caching plugin/mechanism ??
2). Is there a way to disable the W3TC database caching mechanism & hence avoid using the db.php file ...so that it doesnt interfere with Multi-DB ?? I know this shud go to W3TC forums....but just wanted to know if someone has already looked into it.
3). Though I am planning to go with a 256 DB install, I wanted to know if there is any performance loss (or gain); if I go with a 4096 DB install on a very new website with only 10 blogs. I plan to scale it going further to 1000's of sites, so i decided to go with multi-db.
4). Does "Multi-Network" (not multi-site) play well with Multi-DB, Pro Sites & Membership ??
5). I see I cannot use object caching, db-caching, minify, css sprites features coz Im using Multi-DB ....is it worth going for Multi-DB then ??
6). All Buddypress tables go to the global database...is there a way to shard the global DB itself if the global DB becomes too large ?? What i mean is...can I have multiple global DB's ?
7). Do you'l know of any good query optimization techniques ??
8). Any other Plugins available either thru WPMUDEV or elsewhere which wil help in my setup ??
9). Any script or WPMUDEV plugins for easy multi--db backup ?

Thanks Guys !!
- Harry

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Harry,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for these great questions and a significant items to bring up.

1). I read Multi-DB is not compatible with W3TC. Is Multi-DB compatible with DB-Cache or any other Database caching plugin/mechanism ??

In an effort to save you a lot of grief from the start, W3TC is not MultiSite compatible. Can you please point out where it says it is MultiSite compatible? They do not even mention the word MultiSite.

Rather then do an entire repeat performance of my explanations about W3TC and its compatibility, please review this recent exchange with a member regarding W3TC and be sure not to miss his reply in the post directly after mine.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-is-source-of-this-server-error#post-276023

W3TC gives a great sales pitch but do not tell the entire story.

4). Does "Multi-Network" (not multi-site) play well with Multi-DB, Pro Sites & Membership ??

What Multi Network are you referring to? Please advise.

5). I see I cannot use object caching, db-caching, minify, css sprites features coz Im using Multi-DB ....is it worth going for Multi-DB then ??

Where did you see this at? Why would you use db-caching when using Multi DB? I just do not get it? Actually I do not get why anyone with under a million hits a day uses caching at all?

6). All Buddypress tables go to the global database...is there a way to shard the global DB itself if the global DB becomes too large ?? What i mean is...can I have multiple global DB's ?

No you cannot have multiple Globals, and Buddy Press only runs on one site.

I still maintain my opinion that beef (beef meaning powerful servers) is much better then caching BS and to back that up I will mention Mark De Scande, a WPMU Dev Member with 80,000 blogs on one installation whom I have shown the way of beef over BS.

Here is what he had to say about me and my hosting just yesterday http://www.facebook.com/wpmudev/posts/487426894615840?comment_id=84302035

And he is talking about how I took him from one company a couple months ago with an outrageous BS server bill and showed him how the beef works by my proprietary server setups - but he is indeed using Multi DB and no BS is why I am mentioning him and indeed has 80,000 blogs on a single server with no BS and it screams.

7). Do you'l know of any good query optimization techniques ??

mysqlcheck -u root -p --auto-repair --check --optimize --all-databases

8). Any other Plugins available either thru WPMUDEV or elsewhere which wil help in my setup ??

Get a good host, the server is the foundation.

9). Any script or WPMUDEV plugins for easy multi--db backup ?

Your hosting control panel should make good DB backups and site backups but we also have Snapshot plugin that is good for backing up databases as well.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• happyimu
    • Flash Drive

Hey ...thanks a lot, but I already use a good VPS hosting service right now...n im happy with their service...so id stick to them for now.
    Btw..u still havent answered a couple of questions that I asked...so writing it again:

1). Is Multi-DB compatible with DB-Cache plugin or any other Database caching plugin/mechanism ??
    2). Is there any performance loss(or gain) in going for a 4096 DB install over a 256 DB install for a small website network (say 10 blogs) at the moment. I plan to open it to the public later..so i expect this number to go into 1000's later on. But, I wanted to know if 4096 DB's would cause any performance loss..over a 256 DB install for a small WP multisite setup
    3). By Multi-Network, I mean activating the Network+ plugin and the domain mapping & multi-domains plugin along with multi-DB...would that cause any issues ?
    4). I'd like to use caching on my systems...i wanted to know if object caching works with multi-db ??

Thanks for all the other answers !! I dint know W3TC wasnt multisite compatible.
    Regards,
    - Harry

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Harry,

Thank you for the additional feedback, sorry that you took that as a sales pitch, I was just pointing out the beef over BS ... lol

1). Is Multi-DB compatible with DB-Cache plugin or any other Database caching plugin/mechanism ??

The main question first is are they even MultiSite compatible? I checked DB Cache Reloaded and DB Cache Reloaded Fix, DB Cache itself does not show up in the repository.

So in this particular case you keep asking about Multi DB compatibility for items when the first thing should be are they MultiSite compatible and then if so I can give it a test so we can see.

I do want to help Harry and even try beyond the scope of the support we provide here if I can and of course these questions you have are not related to custom coding of course.

2). Is there any performance loss(or gain) in going for a 4096 DB install over a 256 DB install for a small website network (say 10 blogs) at the moment. I plan to open it to the public later..so i expect this number to go into 1000's later on. But, I wanted to know if 4096 DB's would cause any performance loss..over a 256 DB install for a small WP multisite setup

Regarding your question concerning 10 blogs in the best case scenario it would take up 10 database leaving 4086 or 246 unused.

To answer directly a 16 DB install would make no difference in performance to the other two and with 10 sites 6 would be empty in best case scenario.

But I will quote you stats directly from the Multi DB usage page:

Step 1: Decide how many databases you want (16, 256, 4096)

So, how do you know that this plugin is necessary for your install? Well, there are several factors to consider beyond the scope of this walk through, but as a basic guideline:

1-5,000 blogs/sites you should be fine with your WordPress default database

5,000 – 50,000 blogs/sites – go with 16 databases

50,000 – 100,000 blogs/sites – use 256 databases

100,000+ blogs/sites – use 4096 databases

So as you can see by this guideline 10 in a 16 DB is ridiculous but you also mentioned it could bloom into thousands which indeed would be cool.

3). By Multi-Network, I mean activating the Network+ plugin and the domain mapping & multi-domains plugin along with multi-DB...would that cause any issues ?

Now this is truly a GREAT question and one would need to test to find out.

I have not tested Network+ but I have tested Networks for WordPress plugin which works very well in itself.

4). I'd like to use caching on my systems...i wanted to know if object caching works with multi-db ??

For these last two questions I have no idea and no basis to offer an opinion on.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.
    We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.
    Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any way.
    Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.
    Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.
    Cheers!
    Tom
    Sales &Support
    Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.