Multi DB (Fresh install) Common imp Questions

Hi,

I have done a fresh install of WP searched the forums but have a bit of confusion with following points:

1.) I would like to install 15 premium plugins that I like but, should I deploy Multi DB before installing 15 plugins OR should I install 15 other plugins in a single go and then deploy Multi DB ?

2.) How to know Multi DB installation was successful ?

3.) I am absolutely sure that we will need 4096 databases within 8 months time. But, at the moment I want to do 256 DB in order to be sure things are understood and played with before tackling 4096 Databases. An year ago, Drmike stated in a forum there is no easy way to go 4096 from 256. Is situation still the same, what do you suggest should I start by installing 256 databases if there is a solution to scale upto 4096 later ?

Thnx...

• drmike

1 and 3) If you;re looking at 4096 within a few months, I'd just go straight to 4096 right from the beginning. That way you're doing all this during testing and not down the road when you have clients.

2) It doesn;t give you errors? After doing the split, we rename the original database so you have a complete copy just in case. If the software isn;t finding a database that it needs, it'll tell you with errors. (Lots of errors)

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

• j.dee

Ok, I understand. Another thing I am confused with is:
    1.) I would like to install 15 premium plugins that I like but, should I deploy Multi DB before installing 15 plugins OR should I install 15 other plugins in a single go and then deploy Multi DB ?

2.) I am considering slicehost.com for a VPS in order to be able to start with 4096 Databases. But I don't know what software modules do I need to install in a VPS to run Wordpress. What are the initial steps you'd take after taking a VPS server to install and run Wordpress ?

• j.dee

At the moment, the way to go from 256 databases to 4096 is to create a master db, import all the existing 256 databases into. Create your new 4096 databases and then move them out to those.

Hi do you mean I will have to move tables out of every database and import them to the master database ? If thats the case, why not should I start with only 16 databases and then when my project is a success, I can move from 16 to 4096 databases ?

Even Blogs.mu was a massive project but at some point it got shut down. My website is doing a 2nd launch, I don't even know I will have 10 supporters, lol ! If I start with 16, I will be able to tackle and understand better.

I had 2000 tables in single database and PHPMyAdmin stopped working, I could only see first 100 tables but it did not allow me to go on to next page to see rest of the tables. So same might happen when I finish creating 4096 databases.

With your experience, do you think it will be less of a headache to migrate from 16 - 4096 than migrating from 256 - 4096 ?

• drmike

I can move from 16 to 4096 databases

He means the procedure is to go from 16 back down to 1 and then back out to 4096. It's doable but 1) would take a bit meaning more downtime and 2) more chance for something going wrong.

I had 2000 tables in single database and PHPMyAdmin stopped working,

Are you sure there isn;t another page to view? Not sure what the count is per page but phpMyAdmin defaults now to paging out it;s content along the left hand column. Should be arrows to other pages.

If not you can set it up to do that. You may have to get with your host about that:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/blogs-will-not-install-upon-creation#post-9994

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.