multi-db global tables?

Just trying to make sure I understand this right.

I have multi-db installed and running perfectly on my site.

When I download another plugin from wpmudev, if there is an sql file, does that mean I am supposed to add the tables in the sql file as add_global_table(‘table-name’:wink:; to the db-config.php file?

Also, am I supposed to copy n paste the sql file into my global database manually?

Second:

If I am using a plugin not from wpmudev, do I simply look for any table that the plugin adds and do the same?

*Not sure how I differentiate a global table from a regular table insert within other plugins. Directions are not very clear on that.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings shawng,

Thank you for these great questions and significant items to bring up.

You will not under normal circumstances need to add anything special for plugins from WPMU Dev or otherwise to the global database except on extremely rare occasion.

I would say never but there is an exception to every rule.

To date, going on two years now, I have yet to modify the globals table for any MultiSite plugin other then, if memory servers me well, two of the WPMU Dev plugins and zero non WPMU Dev plugins.

Just install every plugin as normal and they should be adding there database files to the Multi DB as normal with reference to the blog ID number they belong to.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• shawng
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Joe.

While I was more than proficient enough to get the plugin installed and running, ‘I’m not new to WP’, I do have to say that the documentation is not exactly very clear on this part.

There were enough threads in the forums with people who activated plugins while using multi-db only to have fairly serious problems later, that I was actually waiting for your answer before activating any plugins.

I’d suggest making this part a little more clear in the ‘Usage’ section of the docs.

I am very happy that it works though. This plugin alone was worth the years membership.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.