Multi db & godaddy

Before I proceed I have a bit more homework to do, however one concern I have is for the automatic upgrade for Wordpress from godaddy. Once the multidb is installed. Can you clarify what issues if any I might face and how to avoid them.

• aecnu

Greetings Filoso4 :slight_smile:

Though I do not have a great insight into the inner workings of Go Daddy, it is my opinion there update would be like any other - with that said and the fact that multi db uses only a couple of files to manage the multi databases - I would permissioning the multi db files 444 - read only - to insure they are not over written by anything with the exception of when multi db is due an update itself.

That should take care of any possible fallout from using it when Go Daddy updates your wordpress install.

Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

GoDaddy updater? Or WordPress updater?

Doesn't matter really, but something I would comment on and that is if your are using multi DB then I guess your install is getting rather large.

Do you want to rely on Auto Update?

Whilst it is pretty reliable things can go wrong sometimes including failed connections. Me personally, I would look to handle it manually. But of course that is your choice.

I would also run them on a test install first and remember the all important.... Backup, backup, backup! :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Filoso4

I mistated. I am informed and then required to initiate the update myself. By going into the application center godaddy provides and just clicking update. It has never caused an issue with multisite. I just wanted to get further insight before proceeding. The installation size is rather small right now however I have already needed to increase PHP memory twice to 96MB. (any recommendations on a suitable size and a proper plugin for reducing the memory load. There are so many out there.)

I do appreciate everyone's quick response.

As far as a dedicated server it makes mqore sense financially at this time to pay incrementally for any increased server needs until the cost of a dedicated server becomes imminent. At which time definitely will be moving over to dedicated servers as the advantages are far greater. Wish it was doable now however business is business and you know the times being as they are.

The 444 idea is also a very good one thank you. And back up back up back up. I can never hear that enough. And yes a test install is a must. We use a test installation for any and all changes prior to bringing them online.

I was excited before to be incorprorating the WPMUDEV Suite of themes and plugins. NOW I AM SUPER EXCITED TO SEE HOW QUICKLY EVERYONE GETS ON THE BALL HERE!

Thank you so much. Worth it's weight already.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

Most people tend to use the WP updater, but I suppose if GoDaddy uses the latest versions then thats cool also.

For production sites I still prefer the manual way. :slight_smile:

The installation size is rather small right now however I have already needed to increase PHP memory twice to 96MB. (any recommendations on a suitable size and a proper plugin for reducing the memory load. There are so many out there.)

If anything you want to be using less plugins, so you have less load, less DB queries, less for the site to do.

Caching plugins are good for load times for users and can help when serving up cache files. Which I presume you mean?

If so then WP Super Cache will work with Multi DB.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

W3 Cache won't as I believe both theirs and our plugin compete for a file name.

As far as a dedicated server it makes mqore sense financially at this time to pay incrementally for any increased server needs until the cost of a dedicated server becomes imminent. At which time definitely will be moving over to dedicated servers as the advantages are far greater. Wish it was doable now however business is business and you know the times being as they are.

I fully understand, although it could create much more hassle and work for you moving later. Do you have root access now? And how are the backup options with GoDaddy.

Depending on how they have their config, you can move from cPanel to cPanel (through WHM) with minimal strain.

And back up back up back up. I can never hear that enough. And yes a test install is a must. We use a test installation for any and all changes prior to bringing them online.

To give you an idea of my own companies set up (independent from WPMU Dev). Our servers all backup to a local server in the datacentre. We then have some local servers to us which log into grab all the files and then download them to RAID storage.

This ensures we have multiple backups just in case there are multiple problems. :slight_smile:

I was excited before to be incorprorating the WPMUDEV Suite of themes and plugins. NOW I AM SUPER EXCITED TO SEE HOW QUICKLY EVERYONE GETS ON THE BALL HERE!
    Thank you so much. Worth it's weight already.

Thank you for the kind comments, it is always appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.