Multi-DB plug in - Delete?

Multi-db is setup. Once thats done, can I delete the plugin? Is it still necessary? It's showing up as an available plugin for all the subdomain sites.

Thanks

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If you delete the plugin then you will lose access to all your extra databases. If that's what you want to happen and go back to a single database install, then you can delete it yes.

Though you will need to merge all your databases into a single one first.

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

I have the following:

Inactive Plugins
    Multi-DB 3.0.6
    Multi-DB 2.9.2
    Multi-Db conversion tool

Drop ins
    db.php Multi-DB

Any ideas on where the install went wrong for the plugins to show inactive. For all other purposes, it looks like it was set up right.

BTW: It's in a new WPMS site with 2 users and minimal plugins so far.

Thanks!!

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

From the person who installed it when I asked about this:

"On the plugin installation menu, it was mentioned to copy some of the plugin files into wp-content folder, while there wasn't a word about deleting it (or activating it) from the plugins folder. That is why I left it there.

It is also not stated which version is doing the hard work; the one from wp-content, or the one from the plugins folder. I am a bit surprised that this was not mentioned there.

Anyway, you could try removing it from the plugin folder, and create a test blog to see if that works (with database backup). Finally, db.php should be mentioned within Drop ins since this means that it changes the core functionality of the WordPress."

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks Barry, Looks like he uploaded the multi-db plugin folder into the plugins directory. From what I read, thats not a step in the install. The files from the folder are set up and put into the right directories so I don't think the folder itself is necessary.

I can delete the multi-db folder from the plugins directory right?

Thanks

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Yep, remove the multi-db stuff from the plugins directory and remove move-blogs.php from the scripts directory as well as you won't need it once you are set up.

Just make sure that your db.php and db-config.php files exist in the wp-content directory, as those are needed all the time.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.