Multi-DB Problem - Locked out of wordpress-Problem with database

its not marketpress i have issues with but with multi-db plugin.
Hi there. Please i am having problems with installing Multi-DB plugin on my
multisite install. There was an error and now i cant login into my wordpress backend.
I did everything as instructed in the usage page of the plugin- But i must say that your explanations are pretty messed up, the steps arent well explained in absolute details (please consider revising it). I have the screenshot of the errors in a zip
file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vusjapo6n573a3j/error-files.zip.

I am stock, can't move further in my development as i am currently locked out of wordpress , so i need answers to this, asap.

Please note that i am sending you this message through your contact form because, i am locked out of my wordpress admin backend and cant access my support section. Thanks.

Please treat this with high priority. Thank you

Thanks

• Todd Heitner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

First of all, I wanted to tell you something you can try temporarily to be able to get back into your site. At least it worked for me. Try moving the db.php script out of the wp-content folder. You can just create a new folder for it within wp-content to store it temporarily until you can find a solution. That's what I've been doing.

I'm having problems with Multi-DB too and I definitely agree with you that the documentation needs some serious work. I'm generally good at following instructions and I had (and still have) major problems with Multi-DB. There are some big gaps in the instructions and I don't think the instructions are very good for the average scenario, as far as setting this up on an average web host.

I've been working with it for weeks trying to get it set up, and had someone from wpmudev helping, as well as my web host, and so far it is still not working. My web host also commented on how the documentation is lacking and inconsistent. For instance, the settings in the screenshots don't match the instructions on the page. I think it really needs some attention.

Anyway, for now, try moving db.php out of your wp-content folder. At least for me that took multi-db out of the picture and let the site continue to run the way it had before.

Thanks,
    Todd

• jamalRobert
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks alot Todd Heitner - i am glad am not the only one having this issue and also glad that there is a lil solution to get me back into my multisite admin.
    Thank you very much for your help. and i hope the wpmudev's team takes note of this and attend to it asap because the picture they painted of Multi-Db looked soo good, its hard to ignore.

Anyways, i'll try your suggestions and see how it works.
    Ciao.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hello Jamal!

Very sorry you are having issues here!

I've flagged down the developer to have a look at your errors ASAP. He is looking into a similar issue, and we look to get you fixed up as soon as possible!

If either of you have any suggestions on what to add to the documents I will take them myself to be revised. I am not familiar with Multi-DB and would love an experienced users view!

Best,

Kimberly

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

There are some big gaps in the instructions and I don't think the instructions are very good for the average scenario, as far as setting this up on an average web host.

Whilst I agree that the instructions do need work, Multi-db is very much server / control panel dependent and is aimed at users who would have moved from an "average web host" to a virtual or dedicated server and have more advanced server / database admin experience / knowledge.

@jamalRobert - can you post the screenshots here? I can't unzip on the device I'm using to answer, and it'd mean you get a quicker response.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ah, it turns out I can unzip - cool.

Right.

1. I don't see a global database shown anywhere in your screenshots - have you created one?
    2. You have errors in your db-config.php file:
    line 16 is wrong, you need to follow the example in the comment above this line
    line 25 is wrong unless you have a table in your global database with that name, then it's going to cause issues
    change all the '' entries in your add_db_server lines to the same IP address as the next entry.
    You don't have a VIP database so remove the add_db_server at the bottom that tries to add one, and the associated add_vip_blog line as that's going to cause problems.

Next, the move-blogs error can't see the databases, so can you check that you have assign full rights to each of your databases to the user you have added. If you are on a server with cpanel then you will need to do this for each database in turn.

I can't see you move-blogs.php file, but there are settings you need to edit at the top of that as well in order for it to run - if you want it to be checked then please upload it.

• jamalRobert

@ Kimberly, thank you very much for flagging this for me, i appreciate. As for the usage instructions, i think the screenshots on there are quite miss leading plus some of the steps were not explained explicitely. Since you are not a programmer, try to follow the steps exactly as explained and see if you can arrive at setting your multi-db up.

@ Barry, thank you very much for your explanations... even though its seems daunting I'd like it if you can login to my database and help me set this up (if you are not too busy that is- cos it took me several hours trying to figure out your explanations on your plugin usage page).
    As for the server requirements: i have a reseller account with my web host company, so i think i have as much privilege as needed to run this.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Thank you for the additional information, it is greatly appreciated.

It appears that the ticket system has eaten this ticket since I found it hanging out in the back of the ticket system while doing weekend house keeping.

Have you managed to get this Multi DB issue handled by any chance?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Thank you so much for letting us know that you have indeed managed to recover your current installation which is certainly great news.

Though installing a Multi DB setup for a member is not part of our support mandate, my hosting company offers this as a free service to our hosting clients.

This is not a pitch to get you to change hosting but to make you aware that some hosting companies indeed do this for free to help their clients.

However, I am willing to check this out and assist you in getting Multi DB up and running on your current host in an off forum fashion though off forum items are handled in a first come first serve basis or expedited in a technician for hire fashion.

Right at this moment there are two folks ahead of you awaiting off forum resolutions but you are invited to participate for free by sending an email to aecnu (at) incsub.com which needed for this type of job the login credentials for your cPanel, FTP, and WordPress installation and be sure to include a copy of the link to this ticket within: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multi-db-problem-locked-out-of-wordpress-problem-with-database

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it's been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I'd check in to see how you're going?

If you're still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Cheers!
    Tom

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Sorry for the delay here and I sadly admit that this got away from me buried in my email box somehow filed in the wrong box - I apologize.

Please let me know if the credentials you sent me are still valid and I should be able to get on this today and certainly tomorrow sir.

Today is jammed up with live chat and other related WPMU DEV commitments but Thursday is a whole different story.

Please accept my apology and advise if we are still on to get Multi-DB setup on your site.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Thank you for your reply sir and the re-authorization to go into your site and work on getting Multi DB going for you.

I have you tentatively scheduled to work this on Tuesday.

I would do it on Monday but they are hard days and I have a meeting as well.

But Tuesday looks like it will indeed be the day - see you then.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Thank you for your patience sir and though I went to do this job this morning I noticed immediately before doing anything that there was an error.log in the web site root folder that has database and other issues within.

Of course it would be foolish of me to start building out Multi DB knowing there are already database issues. These issues must be resolved before moving forward.

They seem to be coming from two or more reasons as indicated in the error log, one of them primarily enewsletters and the other something called price table??

Please look into these two issues and let me know at your earliest convenience if you have indeed been able to resolve them.

Looking forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• jamalRobert

Hi aecnu . The pricing table error was a plugin i installed earlier, it gave error one time , but its been fixed, will uninstall it now!

The other plugin e-news letter, is a wpmudev enews letter plugin. I am not sure why that is giving me errors as i havent seen any error on screen before related to the plugin.
    But i think the errors are harmeless and you can proceed with the multi db installation. Thanks for pointing this out.
    Looking forward to your fix. Cheers.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Almost there! but I was shocked to find that you had not added the DB user to the rest of the database tables in cPanel.

Please add the user to all the tables that do not currently have a user associated.

At this moment only the first and last tables have users assigned.

Please advise when this has been completed so we can continue to move forward getting your Multi DB working.

Cheers, Joe

• jamalRobert

Hello aecnu
    Thank you for your assistance. The databases you are refering to are useless. They were auto created when i was trying to install Multi-DB the first time. As you can see they are 0.00mb and does not have any user assigned to them. The only relevant database is the first one with assigned user. Soo please delete the rest of the database starting from no 15. Then you can proceed.
    Please be sure to do backup before installing multi db. Thanks ALOT!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Thank you sir for your input but unless you want to pay me $80 an hour to do this, you need to get your share of the work done there and proceed so we may complete this mission.

Those databases should indeed read 0MB - that is a fact and I would expect nothing different.

I am an independent contractor for WPMU DEV, I am not an employee though I am a member of the staff as you can see.

This type of action, more then 16 databases, they (WPMU DEV) will certainly not cover.

You have 256 databases going on there and they look exactly how they are supposed to.

Please consider adding the user to them all as respectfully and honorably requested or let me know if we are going to cut it down to 16 databases??

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• jamalRobert

am still trying to assign users to the database... dont you think that i should just delete em and then you recreate them automatically when you start work on it. I have other engagement and cant afford that time to delete or assign those users to the database. Thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

Sir on WPMU DEV's dime I only build 16 Multi DB's and they are easy to troubleshoot, manually setup, and they almost always work (almost = not on WP Engine).

In addition, I will help troubleshoot any db size because it is indeed part of my support mandate.

However there is also low end cost for doing this as well by perhaps @Mark De Scande or tweaky.com which I believe Mark will do a better job in this case being familiar with Multi DB setup.

Indeed maybe they will choose to do it from scratch as well, wiping it.

I have not flagged tweaky.com, you would have to visit them but I have flagged Mark in here and hopefully he will give you a good bid to do the 256+ Multi DB installation.

So we are at a crossroads where I will do 16 for free or you hire one of the chaps above or alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Another option is to wipe it clean and recreate it yourself (256+) and if it doesn't work I can take a look troubleshooting it.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

WP Engine is not the place for a Multi DB setup i looked on there site but could not get any feed back so it is not them saying it is me saying

I always set up 4096 + home + global

Now the problems i see

1) SSH and can you run this /usr/local/cpanel/bin/setupdbmap ?
    2) Do they have PHP MyAdmin
    3) Can you change user permissions in PHP MyAdmin ? 99% of the time it is no

Remember were making all the DB trough PHP MyAdmin so we need to tell Cpanel + WHM were the db are and the user for the db

My best advice is get a dedicated server from @aecnu with the following configuration:

Xeon Quad-Core 5420 + WHM + Cpanel ($150 p/m )

Main Drive / Just leave it as ease

Spear Drive Mount is as
    /var 250GB
    /tmp 100GB
    /backup 150GB

DropBox ($10 P/m) we will then link your account to your backup drive this way you have a backup on the server and on drop box.

I hope all the info helps and i am not saying any thing bad about WP Engine all i am saying when i ask them can i host BlogLines.co.za with Multi-DB 4096 + 2 they told me yes but we want $2500 to run the setup, now i run Bloglines.co.za with @aecnu and the hole setup costs me $150

I can help you set up all of this but you will have to work trough oDesk

Thank you Kindly
    Mark de Scande

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mark de Scande,

Thank you for all that input and pointing out things like WP Engine and it is certain that they do not support Multi DB and several other plugins.

At this point we wait to hear back from jamalRobert to see what his take is of all this.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jamalRobert,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.