Multi-DB Rollback Script Keeps Timing Out

As the title says, I'm using the multisite roll back script that Jose posted. My site's Multi-DB is pretty large. There are 1,800 blogs on there with a fair amount of content and plugin tables. So, the script keeps timing out. Any suggestions on how to get it to run through to completion? I've tried increasing the memory, and this helped a little. Any thoughts?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chris,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I think I suggested the script during our live chat. A 1800 blogs site is quite a huge network though and the script is relatively simple. If increasing PHP max_execution_time even further doesn't help here, it may be necessary to modify it a bit so it would either process databases via AJAX calls or would run called out by server CRON.

That's however a complex coding that would go well outside the scope of this forum and a Multi-DB script is not developed and supported anymore for quite a long time already. As much as I'd love to provide you with an "out of the box" fix for this, I think it would be best to hire a professional developer that would help you either create a custom "rollback" tool or to customize Jose's script.

I believe you could find some developer familiar with the issue on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

You may also try to reach out to Jose via GitHub here:
    https://github.com/jjaureguiberrry

I'm not able to say though whether he'll respond and/or will be able to help you with this as he may be busy with his own work.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Chris

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your quick reply. I want to touch on two topics:

1. While I appreciate that this is outside of the scope of the forums, I think it's something that WPMUDEV should cover given that you guys put the Multi-DB plugin out there, then discontinued it with the promise to continue supporting it. This is part of supporting it, esp since you guys already provided a script to roll back. BTW - I didn't even hear that you guys were discontinuing it until a year after implementing it, when I was well into the development of my network. Given that Edublogs moved away from Multi-DB, and they have many more blogs than I do, I would guess that the type of solution you are talking about already exists.

2. I'm not a sophisticated user, so I'm not sure if I should continue using Multi-DB or not. It appears to make both db optimization and Snapshot backup/restoration more difficult, if not impossible. However, if my network grows to 20K blogs or more, will having Multi-DB make a big difference in terms of speed? If Edublogs was able to move away from Multi-DB, it sounds like I should too. How is it that Edublogs was able to switch and not get hit by speed issues?

Your input on these questions, and your help contacting people who can help provide a solution is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your feedback!

The fact that it was discontinued was clearly stated on plugin's page, including an information that it will not be supported in future except for "current users" in a limited area. That lasted for some time until we retired it fully (meaning no support at all) along with some other plugins:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/retiring-our-legacy-plugins/

I apologize if you weren't informed as a user about it. I'm not sure what way that information was passed to our members as I'm not involved in any marketing/update and similar activities. I sincerely apologize if you did not received any such information.

Having that said, I must say that while we aimed to do our best to help in case of roll-back and similar cases until the plugin was retired. I'm not however sure if there's even anybody that would be familiar enough with Multi-DB code to be able to fully assist you know. I will ask one of the guys if he would be able to help you with that timing out issue but I'm not able to promise anything. I'm really sorry about that.

Kind regards,
    Adam

PS. I'll update this thread if/when I get any helpful replay from one of the developers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.