Multi-DB severe issue.... all data/work lost ??? urgent help need

Hello José,
recently you solved our Multi-DB installation problem... (see https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multi-db-seriously-does-this-plugin-work#post-800229)

First - since when we run the backup job the following

ERROR: Result of table check for wp_iayp_9_terms is: 'bestofv2_global.wp_iayq_terms' doesn't exist

occurred

BUT now..... the error list is endless, most of all 256 tables doesn't exist - see error log backwpup_log below!!!

Please could you solve that severe problem?

Please request server access detail and I'll forward it to you again.

Many thanks

kind regards
Prinz

[02-Feb-2015 03:41:32] Database check done!
[02-Feb-2015 03:41:32] ERROR: Job has ended with errors in 248 seconds.
ERROR: Job has ended with errors in 248 seconds. You must resolve the errors for correct execution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can’t select database
We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the bestofv2_global database.

Are you sure it exists?
Does the user bestofv2_usrbha have permission to use the bestofv2_global database?
On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_bestofv2_global. Could that be the problem?

If you don't know how to set up a database you should contact your host. If all else fails you may find help at the WordPress Support Forums.

• Jose

Hello Prinz,

Hope you are doing great!

Yes, I would need cPanel access in order to see what's going on here.

Please send me the following information via contact form :

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jose”
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WP admin/network access
    - cPanel login url and credentials

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks,
    Jose

• Jose

Hi there Prinz,

I took a comprehensive look into your site and these are my findings:

1 - BackWPUP is triggering errors simply because it is not compatible with Multi-DB. It is actually trying to make a backup of your old wordpress DB tables (the DB used prior to migrate to Multi-DB) and then failing when trying to check those tables in Multi-DB global database.

I think you won't find a backup plugin prepared to work with Multi-DB, since the structure and workflow is quite different. With a small tweak in the backup plugin you would be able to make a backup of the global DB, but none of the other databases would be copied.

The best approach if you want to run automatic back-ups of all your databases in a regular basis, is to setup a cron job in your cpanel and run a command such
    mysqldump --all-databases
    I just created a weekly cron job for you so that you don't loose any data :slight_smile:

2- Regarding the select error triggered by wordpress when trying to create posts or categories, I wasn't able to reproduce it. It seems by all means to be an sporadical error caused by your mysql server being unreachable. This is likely a problem related with your server resources. Now, this is VERY IMPORTANT. Your site is running in a shared hosting plan which are intended for simple and low traffic websites. If your site is/will be large enough to justify the use of Multi-DB plugin, then your server resources must be set accordingly.
    From Multi-DB usage page:

If you are big enough to need Multi-DB, you really should be using a VPS or dedicated server that gives you root access.

1 – 5,000 blogs/sites: you should be fine with your WordPress default database

You have set Multi-DB to use 256 DBs, which is intended for 50,000 – 100,000 blogs/sites. Are you actually expecting this amount of sites? If so, you seriously need to consider switching to a far better server infrastructure.

Thoughts?

I'll send you an email with the private details about the backup cron job.

Cheers,
    Jose

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.