Multi-DB severe problem - access to subdomains impossible

Not sure, do I have to request support using this way... also, do I have to grant access on this platform level too?

Sent: Mon 02/03/2015 13:38
Subject:
Attn: Ashok / Jose... Multi-DB causes more and more severe issue, please could you look into it once more?

may I assume you remember that I contacted you several times about the multi-db issue which we experience since the beginning. Now whenever we are login as superadmin to any subdomain... access is not possible anymore. Instead we receive error messages like

"Cannot establish db connection".... and/or

Can’t select database
We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the bestofv2_global database. Are you sure it exists?
Does the user bestofxxx_xxxx have permission to use the bestofxxx_global database? Could that be the problem?

We emptied, also deactivated/reactived Super Cache also ALL other plugin... to ensure the problem is not caused by one of them (as you see we have mostly WPMU Dev plugin in place) and we don't believe that this might be the cause for the issue as we have this particular database error since the beginning when we had no... or only less... plugins and data stored.

It seems to us that entered data does not store into the assigned db table... but of course we are not such high skilled and experienced professionals like you.

Nevertheless we need this issue solved in total as it goes worse and worse.
Please be so kind, look into it once again.

Server access details are
(see forwarded direct email and/or request credentials again)

• Klaus

Hello Ash - hello Jose,

unfortunately I understood today the first time, that we have with Multi-DB not one Database including 256 (but currently alreay 292 tables!) installed...

instead we have actually 292 databases whereby each db has a certain amount of tables.

This is in short what a tutor at the local university explained, when he spent an eye on our issue too. Furthermore he explained the whole trouble we have is simply a provider issue... in our case bluehost as they support at a time only a small number of db connection per user on a shared server. Unfortunately bluehost does not reveal at all the exact number of available connection!

I instantly hope that I did not bother you to much with all my request and if so, please... please take my sincere apologize. I haven't done this intentionally.

If it is okay to ask you for your opinion regards some proposal this tutor made... you would really make me feel better, as I always listened and valued your advice much. Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards
    Prinz

• Michelle Shull

Hi Prinz!

No trouble at all!

I can see why you might be having trouble with MultiDB on a shared host - if you're anticipating needing such a large array of databases, a shared server may not be the best place to host your site/network, as you're going to quickly outgrow the resources your host provides. A dedicated server would be more ideal here, since the enter machine would be yours, you wouldn't be sharing with (x)sites, or competing with them for resources like CPU usage, memory, or database connections.

We'd love to review what your tutor explained with you, feel free to share here. :slight_smile:

• Jose

Hi again Prinz,

Hope you are doing fantastic today.

Sorry about the delay to jump into the thread. I took a few days off :slight_smile:

unfortunately I understood today the first time, that we have with Multi-DB not one Database including 256 (but currently alreay 292 tables!) installed...
    instead we have actually 292 databases whereby each db has a certain amount of tables.

This is correct. Actually, I found an error a few days ago in our product page description where it stated "multiple tables" instead "multiple databases". I already reported it to be fixed. I believe that it might be the cause of the confusion.

So, multi-DB plugin will distribute the sub-sites data in separate DBs. You can even assign a dedicated DB to a specific sub-site by using a VIP server configuration.
    The idea is to have just a few blogs on each DB in order to keep it smaller.

Regarding the shared hosting, we already discussed this via email and I know that you are aware of the possible issues.
    In this case, the problem is clear: the site is connecting to the main DB (where the main blog resides), but is not able to open the simultaneous connection with the sub-site's DB.
    You can be sure that this will work just fine once you move to your production servers.

If it is okay to ask you for your opinion regards some proposal this tutor made

Sure, I'll be glad to review the proposal. You can share it here or -if it contains private information- via email adding attn: Jose in the subject.

Cheers!
    Jose

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.