Multi-Domain and Domain Mapping

I am new to the site and also to the concept of Domain mapping. I joined your site mainly to learn more about these features. Spending reasonable amount of time on the subject is still not quite clear on some of the basics. I am not planning to do a wordpress.com site. I am interested to manage more efficiently multi-site WP installs. To make it easier here is an example:
Let say I want to setup a multisite install for a products in Germany with germanproducts.com, the products will be in the subdomain or in the subdirectory. Like product1.germanproducts.com or germanproducts.com/product1. The site is setup with a host in Germany (germane IP). In the meantime there is an international site with multi-site install with wordlproduct.com domain name on a US (with US IP). I would want to map germanproducts.com to german.worldproducts.com and preferable “manage” (updated, themes, plugins and create new sites) for all the blogs from worldproduct.com dashboard
To be able to do this in my understanding need bot multi-domain plugin on worldproduct.com (for creating new sites for germanporducts.com) and domain mapping plugin (for map germanproducts.com to german.worldproducts.com). To make this work I need to point *.germanproducts.com to the US IP of worldproducts.com
There are significant benefits of having separate IP for the two domains for ranking both sites germanproducts.com and worldproducts.com with the search engines which are far more valuable than the convenience to manage the network form one site.
So the questions are:
1. When I create a new site from worldproducts.com dashboard using multi-domain (e.g. product1.germanproducts.com) which database will the site be a part of, the US or German? Also under what IP the search engines will see this new site?
2. Can use the multi domain plugin to create new sites in the subdirectory vs. subdomain of the site?
3. If I want to only “map” germanproducts.com to german.worldproducts.com is it necessary to point *.germanproducts.com or germanproducts.com to the US IP?
4. Can the sites were not created by multi-domain plugin, but part of that domain (eg. germanproducts.com) be managed from the worldproducts.com as a part of the network?
5. Do the plugins have to be installed in the mu-plugins or can it just simply in the plugins directory?

Thanks for your help in advance

• DavidM

Hi MediaInk and welcome to WPMU DEV!

I'll take a look with you on these items inline but one important point to clarify first off, this would all have to be done within a single Multisite network rather than separate sites or networks.

So basically, you'd maybe have your one international site worldproduct.com and a sub-site on that network, perhaps the sub-domain germanproducts.worldproduct.com, with the domain name germanproducts.com mapped to that sub-domain.

You could then use Multi-Domains to create sites on that sub-site, like product1.germanproducts.com or product2.germanproducts.com.

There's not a way otherwise, for the plugins to work across separate installations of WordPress.

1. When I create a new site from worldproducts.com dashboard using multi-domain (e.g. product1.germanproducts.com) which database will the site be a part of, the US or German? Also under what IP the search engines will see this new site?

As I mentioned above, this could only be done under the one Multisite network and the search engines should see the IP for the main site on the network.

2. Can use the multi domain plugin to create new sites in the subdirectory vs. subdomain of the site?

Multi-Domains wouldn't let you create sub-directory sites actually, just sub-domains.

3. If I want to only “map” germanproducts.com to german.worldproducts.com is it necessary to point *.germanproducts.com or germanproducts.com to the US IP?

Please see above.

4. Can the sites were not created by multi-domain plugin, but part of that domain (eg. germanproducts.com) be managed from the worldproducts.com as a part of the network?

I believe this again would be referenced above.

5. Do the plugins have to be installed in the mu-plugins or can it just simply in the plugins directory?

Domain Mapping for sure could be installed in the /plugins/ though I don't believe Multi-Domains can. It's actually best to install them in /mu-plugins/ to make the installation easier as the installation refers to that folder.

Hope this helps!

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.