Multi Domain & Domain Mapping

I am using both of these plugins... i have them working just fine.what I need to know is how to get one of the multi domain I am using to show the WP-admin...I have shared hosting with GoDaddy and a dedicated IP. All my additional domains have the A record pointing to the main install IP and also have a *wildcard Record...(they are not included as a subdomain in my hosting-yet)...I can creat a site under a added multi domain and see the site but can not LOG INTO the admin dashboard......what am I missing???

• Cheri

Here is what I discovered as I learned how to use Multi-Sites:

Simply setting up a new site in your wpress admin does not really create a site!
    You still must go to your hosting in GoDaddy and create the subdomain then you must go to your wordpress and install wordpress on that domain.

See if you can then access it via your Multi-Site dashboard.

As it is now your new site is empty. That is why you can't access it. You can see that for yourself via ftp and looking for that site in your files.

Even if it does create the subdomain for you- it does not install wordpress for you. you still must manually do this.

My take on this multi-site feature is that it allows you to simply manage all of the sites from one wordpress admin and if you install the WP MU Dev Dashboard you can add plugins and themes and activate them all at once on all of your sites.

When I first tried to set this up on my Godaddy account they told me I needed a dedicated ip to setup multi-site. So I added that for a few bucks extra and don't think it is really necessary.

I switched to my hostgator account and am using that.

Hope this helps!
    Cheri

• PC

Hello Cheri,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

I would like to explain a few things here :

Simply setting up a new site in your wpress admin does not really create a site!
    You still must go to your hosting in GoDaddy and create the subdomain then you must go to your wordpress and install wordpress on that domain.

Unfortunately that is not how Multisite Works. The main principle of Multisite is that you can use one WordPress install to manage n number of subsites.

The way you have explained it, it will be multiple installs of WordPress and they will be separate sites and not a part of a single network and you can't manage them centrally unless you use a paid service like Manage WP

When I first tried to set this up on my Godaddy account they told me I needed a dedicated ip to setup multi-site. So I added that for a few bucks extra and don't think it is really necessary.

Godaddy does not allow Multisite on their Shared hosting from what I know. You will need to upgrade to one of their higher plans.

You can read about multisite on our manuals : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wordpress-multisite/

And here : http://codex.wordpress.org/Glossary#Multisite

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Timothy Bowers

Just to add on to PC's words. The way multisite works is that you create what's called a wildcard DNS. This sends all subdomain traffic through to the root domain.

WordPress then does the rest for you.

Or you can have a subfolder install version, this does not require subdomain wildcard to be set. But it works the same way from an admin/site point of view.

You don't have to create separate sub domains in cPanel. You don't create separate installs either.

It's just the one install. It doesn't install more installs.

It's pretty much how WordPress.com works. Enter details, create site, job done.

Cheers.

• Cheri

Thanks to all for your input:

I have to say that some of what you have told me doesn't seem to be what is working for me.

My Multi-Site is working beautifully and this is what I have found works well:

Yes you do need to set-up the wildcard. What I am thinking this does is allows me to add these new subdomains to my Network Admin list of subdomain sites all under the umbrella and dashboard of my main domain site that I am using.

When I want to add a new site in the Network Admin I add it there and then I go to my cpanel and create the new subdomain and install wordpress from my wordpress in cpanel. (With hostgator you use Fantastico)

I then log out of my main site and log back in then bam the new site is live and showing as a wp-admin address and then I login and start to set up that site.

In order to have the plugins and themes show up in the new subdomain site I make sure they are network enabled in the Network Admin.

I then go to the new site and add the WPMUDEV Dashboard and activate that new subdomain and api for WPMUDEV on the new site.

I can then begin to add network eanabled plugins and themes.

So far I have set up 3 subdomain sites all showing perfectly in my Network Admin
    and I can easily edit them etc.

Godaddy claims they support multi-site but you must have a dedicated IP in order to use it.

I switched to my Hostgator account because it just worked smoother.

I am not seeing that wordpress is installing anything for you. I still maintain that you must go in and maually install your subdomain and wordpress. yourself.

When you do, it works.

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks

Cheri

I have worked with wordpress exclusively now for several years so I am not new to wordpress.

• Timothy Bowers

Yes you do need to set-up the wildcard. What I am thinking this does is allows me to add these new subdomains to my Network Admin list of subdomain sites all under the umbrella and dashboard of my main domain site that I am using.

WordPress doesn't add the domain or subdomains, in fact it doesn't even touch your DNS.

The DNS handles the wild card, all WordPress does is catches the traffic and routes it to the correct blog.

When I want to add a new site in the Network Admin I add it there and then I go to my cpanel and create the new subdomain and install wordpress from my wordpress in cpanel. (With hostgator you use Fantastico)

You're doing it wrong.

Once WordPress Multisite is setup you don't ever have to touch cPanel, Fantastico or any other auto installer. That's not multisite, that's lots of single sites doing that.

I think what you're doing is going in there getting Fantastico to make the setup, but the wildcard if working is still pointing to your multisite network (that's if you can control the site from there).

But if you're installing WPMU DEV Dashboard on sub site, well they must be single sites instead rather than part of the network install.

I then go to the new site and add the WPMUDEV Dashboard and activate that new subdomain and api for WPMUDEV on the new site.

WPMU DEV dashboard wouldn't ever install on a subsite within a network. It's a network installed plugin and doesn't work any other way. You only need one API for a network install, it only uses the one domain too.

I am not seeing that wordpress is installing anything for you. I still maintain that you must go in and maually install your subdomain and wordpress. yourself.

It's still wrong.

In all my years of working with WordPress, I've never ever had to manually go into cPanel every time to create a new subdomain and install. It's done instantly, through WordPress with wildcard dns support. It doesn't create new installations, it's all one database, all one code base. Not multiple instances of.

Source: Powering over 1.8 million educational websites through Edublogs.org:

http://edublogs.org

Plus the other thousands of sites I've worked on and supported over the years.

Cheers.

• PC

Hello Cheri,

Sometimes the wildcards have to be setup differently and if setting the A records don't work.

Here is a post I wrote around an year ago : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-fix-dns-issue-on-subdomain-blogs-in-wpmu-especially-in-cpanel-without-using-wildcard-dns

DNS changes sometimes take upto 24-48 hours to be propagated.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.