Multi-domain function clarification

We currently have developed and launched a sports themed multi-site consisting of over 50 WPMUdev plugins plus an additional dozen custom plugins. We are getting feedback that people would like our functionality within another genre (travel). I had assumed that I would need to create a second multi-site; however, I am wondering if the multi-domain plus domain-mapping could be a better alternative.
1. In the multi-domain set-up are all of the plugins available throughout the network?
2. Blog Templates: We are currently using New Blog Template for the sports blogs. I would need a second template for travel. If someone were to signup from the domain mapped Travel Site could they get a default "travel" template?
3. What is the benefit to structure as multi-domain rather than separate multi-sites?

DavidM

Hi antKat,

I'll have look with you on these items inline!

1. In the multi-domain set-up are all of the plugins available throughout the network?

Yep, Multi-domain sites work exactly the same as regular sub-sites.

2. Blog Templates: We are currently using New Blog Template for the sports blogs. I would need a second template for travel. If someone were to signup from the domain mapped Travel Site could they get a default "travel" template?

Actually, Multi-Domains provides an option when used alongside New Blog Templates where you can specify a template for the Multi-Domain in question. Any sites created using that Multi-Domain will utilize that template.

3. What is the benefit to structure as multi-domain rather than separate multi-sites?

I'm not sure I understand your question here. Multi-Domain works alongside the Multi-site feature of WordPress, rather than separately from it.

Are you perhaps referring to one of the Multi-Network plugins?
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-multi-network/

-David

Mason

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!