Multi domain mapping

I have a domain (cgtairfrance.fr) mapped to a sub site (http://reference-syndicale.fr/cgtairfrance) and it works fine on some articles : http://cgtairfrance.fr/2018/11/la-cgt-ne-signera-pas-laccord-salarial/ but the home page or certain categories lead to the network signup page. I've tried changing permalinks, clearing cache, disabling plugins. I have no idea where this comes from.

It used to work fine, but i had to deactivate all plugins, and reactivate plugins one by one (due to performance issues). And now i have this problem. Any leads ?

• pravdamien
      • Design Lord, Child of Thor

No that's not it.
      1/ None of the content has changed since turning plugins on/off
      2/ some categories lead to the network root signup page, others work fine with mapped domain
      3/ I tried turning WP DEFENDER off, in case it cause blocking anything, but that doesn't resolve the issue.

it's as if the domain mapping was only working for half the website, and pretty randomly (not all articles work).

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi pravdamien

I checked your setup and I noticed two things there that are quite unusual:

1. You are using both Domain Mapping and Multi-Domains. That's perfectly fine and both these plugins can be used together but they are not exactly meant to use the same domains: domains that are used in Multi-Domain for new sites' registrations shouldn't be mapped to sub-sites at the same time. That might work sometimes but is not expected to work.

2. All of the sub-sites are sub-domain sites and only this one is a sub-folder site which is also quite typical. WP Multisite is expected to work either as a sub-domain setup or as a sub-folder but not both at once. I admit I'm a bit confused with this particular aspect of your install. Would you mind telling me a bit more on how did you set it that way/how did you end up having it set that way? I think this might be connected here as from WP "point of view" such "sub-folder" site on a sub-domain setup would be more like a "page of main site" rather than a sub-site (though it's still in db as a separate sub-sites). If you could tell me a bit more about why/how is it setup that way, I hope it would help us diagnose that.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• pravdamien

1. i'm only using one other domain name cgtairfrance.fr which maps to a subsite of the network. Is that a mistake on my behalf ? should i turn off multi domain plugin ?

2. My mistake, definetely. Since obeserving the bug, i tried changing the site home url from the mapped domain / to the subdomain, and I entered a subfolder by accident. But the network IS configured as subdomain subsites

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi pravdamien

1. i'm only using one other domain name cgtairfrance.fr which maps to a subsite of the network. Is that a mistake on my behalf ? should i turn off multi domain plugin ?

cgtairfrance.fr is used both in Domain Mapping and Multi-Domains, but as Adam mentioned, this is not something that should be used this way, it might work in some cases, but it's not something plugins are specifically ready to do and there might be issues and might just be what the cause is.
    There's no need to completely disable Multi-Domains, it's enough to remove the URL from Settings > Multi-Domains panel.
    So if you have other top level domains you can still use them here if you're not mapping it to subsite.

2. My mistake, definetely. Since obeserving the bug, i tried changing the site home url from the mapped domain / to the subdomain, and I entered a subfolder by accident. But the network IS configured as subdomain subsites

Domain Mapping plugin doesn't require you to change subsite URL, it can actually cause issues, so you should restore original domain to subdomain that was used previously.

Let us know how it goes after those changes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• pravdamien

I removed the domain from multi domain panel.
    And reset the subsite home url to the original subdomain.

I also tried removing the mapped domain and adding it again, but i'm still encountering the same issue.

any new ideas ?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi pravdamien

Thanks for taking care of this. Since these changes didn't help, we'll need to investigate it further but at least we got a "clear starting point" now :slight_smile:

That said, I tried to check the site but I know wasn't able to actually access the dashboard of the sub-site in question as it requires me to log in. I might also need to be able to check site files. That said, could you please:

- go to "Network Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support" page and extend support so it would stay open for couple more days
    - on that same page under the "Access active for X days" button, in the text field there, put FTP - or better yet, if avaialble - cPanel credentials so I could check site files?
    - and in addition to those put there a super-admin level account login and password (you can create an additional one temporarily, for us, but please make it a super-admin role)?

Once that's done, let me know here. The data that you put in that text box on "Network Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end will not be published anywhere in public so I'll only be able to use them after accessing your site - but I also need to know that they are added there.

I'll then check the site again and "dig deeper". I'm sure will find solution to this eventually :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.