Multi-domain plugin working with subfolders - slug/permalink solution?

@Kimberly @Timothy

I think I have mapped out a way for the Multi-domain plugin to work with subfolders. I hope it will cover all the known issues with Multi-domain plugin usage with subfolders.

First, as I intend to have custom post types, which I will implement via wp-types plugin), I will implement a network-wide permalink structure such as

domain/%sitename/%posttype/%year/%monthnum/%day/%postname

for all post types. (Or maybe a different ordering will given better performance.) I think the only thing custom is the insertion of %posttype into the permalink.

I am ok if the URL turns out to be long. I just do not want a user to be able to make any kind of posting that is just domain/%postname as that might very well lead to a URL conflict. (I will install an URL shortener for individual user use and see how that goes.)

I will still try to make rewrite rules for certain landing pages form the network admin account, i.e., such that URLs like domain/pagename still work at least for the network admin.

I think as long as any_sitename <> "category" <> "tag" <> any_page name including the BP pages <> "blog" <> any_custom_post_type <> any_group_name <> any_forum_name then there should be be no URL clashes.

I am ok with the insertion of the word "blog" in the posts of the admin accounts.

I am ok with the default BP pages, i.e., /members, /groups, /blogs, /activity, /forums, etc. I will put these words on the blacklist for both site and user registration. "blog", "category" and "tag" will of course be blacklisted as well, and they all will be mutually excluded from each other.

Second, I will set user roles (via user role edit plugin or hard-wiring in the code) such that no one but a network administrator can change the permalink structure.

In this particular network for the most part it will be sitename=username=author, that is, it will be one-user-one-site, as as far a the permalink is concerned that equals author as well.

Only the network admin account will have more than one user. A user will be the admin of their own site in terms of content management, but there will be some executive functions re: themes and plugins that siteadmins will not be able to do. Rather they will be reserved for the network admin.

As this is a organizational member benefit, the network admin will handle the creation of accounts. That is, there will be no mechanism for people to register for the site on their own. So in addition to the blacklist there will be human intervention.

Do you think this will cover all the known issues with Multi-domain plugin usage with subfolders?

• nsbp001
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi @vinodvdalvi

That is part of my question as well, i.e., knowing what are all the known issue wrt using the Multidomain plugin with subdirectory installations.

But previously I have read via this thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/when-multi-domains-is-activated-the-signup-form-is-messed-up in a post by @Timothy Bowers on Mon Apr 9 2012, 10:30:00 AM

>
      > I don't think this would be possible since it does NOT have to do with the way the plugin works but but how networks and servers function.
      > Anyway. Timothy provided you with a solid answer. :slight_smile:
      >
      > @ Timothy

And more recently David has provided insight via an email exchange:

But I did want to ask, are you aware of the issues within WordPress where you have the same url slugs representing different things?

For example, if you have a page named 'products' and you also have a custom post type named 'products', the 2 url slugs will conflict. It's a server-level conflict in that there's no way for the server to resolve 2 different locations with the same url/slug.

That issue bares heavily on Multi-Domains. There are just many cases where url slugs for various content could end up being the same.

• nsbp001

So the questions are, would a permalink structure like

work, given the caveats in my original post? Is this the best ordering of attributes for server efficiency? Is there a way to set the permalink structure network wide, and to prevent the various site owners/admins from changing the structure?

• nsbp001

Hi @vinodvdalvi

As best as I can tell these are the templates of the URLs I can expect on this Multisite WP+BP network.

domain/[the various BP pages]
    domain/%category/[category_slug]
    domain/%tag/[tag-slug]
    domain/[page] landing pages from the superadmin accts and maybe some networkwide landing pages
    domain/blog//%year/%monthnum/%day/%postname

• calvinrogercanas
    • New Recruit

Hello @nsbp001

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Is there a way to set the permalink structure network wide, and to prevent the various site owners/admins from changing the structure?

Yes, we have the right plugin for you. :slight_smile:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/remove-permalinks-menu-item/

Is this the best ordering of attributes for server efficiency?

I don't dabble on permalink that much but I know as long as it's readable it would be good for SEO purposes. :slight_smile: For the server matter, I do think it affect a little bit because of some redirection that needs to happen on the process.

Look forward to hearing back!

Best Regards,
    Calvin

• calvinrogercanas
    • New Recruit

Hey there @nsbp001

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Other than the permallinks, slugs and server file search issue, is there any other issue regarding getting the Multi-domain plugin to work with sub-folders?

I read an old thread about member who had an issue about a sign-up form on his site became messy. Later on, my co-worker discovered that he used multi-domain in a subfolder multisite setup. So I think a server/file request could be a potential issue to your site if you make the same set-up.

This problem may not occur at first but in a long-term time and it may become tedious to fix it at that time. In addition to this, I also don't think that we will support the subfolder on this particular plugin.

I hope that will make you decide on what you should be your next step. :slight_smile:

Don't hesitate to ask us if you have more questions! :slight_smile:

Cheers!
    Calvin

• nsbp001

Thank you @calvinrogercanas

That sounds like maybe allowing people to sign-up themselves led to creation of some URL collisions. Our plan for this social network/community of practice is for a admin staff to do the signups. That way we can have some control over site/user names to head that problem off. Plus the permalink structure we intend to impose.

@Tim @calvinrogercanas @mozillavvd any more known issues?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.