Multi-domain questions

I'm about to install the multi domains plugin and I have some questions:

1. If blogname.domain1.com is taken, will blogname.domain2.com be avaliable?
2. Can the domain be changed later on by the user?
3. Can the domain be changed for a blog later on by the admin?
4. Can users be blogs-moved to a new domain by the admin?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

1. Nope, the sub-site name is a like unique identifier that can only be used once in the network, regardless of Multi-Domains being active or not.

2, 3 & 4. Nope, this is something that is set at registration and forms part of the setup.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks.

I'm going to merge 3 WPMU sites into 1 and I'm going to do it by importing blogs from site1 and site2 into site3. But they will keep the same domain as before so I will need to be able to import them with the same domain.

Is the domain identified with a domain ID or is it identified by domain name? If by name I should be able to install multidomains on all 3 sites before exporting and importing, and get the correct domain set. Right?

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey Joe.

I mean the domain name i.e. domain1.com. How is domain1.com identified for blog1 and separated from domain2.com? Is it by ID (i.e. domain1.com = 1, domain2.com=2 etc) or is it by the domain name itself?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Qlof :slight_smile:

after the rephrasing of your question I sadly admit I do not know :slight_frown:

Obviously the makers of this particular plugin would know ..... however, it also appears that your ticket has been marked as resolved :slight_frown:

I would either reopen this ticket or better yet create a new one with the question rephrased as you have done above so hopefully it will get the developers attention :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey Phil.

I think you missunderstood my question.

blogname.domain1.com will be exported and imported into blogname.domain3.com. I would then like to install the multi domains plugin on domain3 and change the blog (now named blogname.domain3.com) back into blogname.domain1.com. There will be no change to the blog owner, but I will not need 3 different wordpress installs.

Is it possible to change blogname.domain3.com into blogname.domain1.com after both domain1 and domain3 are avaliable on a single wordpress multisite install with the multi-domain plugin?

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello.

I think you are misunderstanding me. Domain mapping can't do anything for me in this scenario unless I manually map all 500+ subdomains. There is currently 3 wpmu installs on 3 different domain. Each install/domain has users with their own subdomains. The subdomains will not be changed when I merge the 3 installs into one but all 3 main domains will point to one single wpmu install. After merging the 3 sites, all users and subdomains will be under one main domain, but I would then like to change some blogs so that their main domain is changed to a different domain configured in the multi domains plugin. They will not have unique domain names. In fact, they will keep their domain names and subdomain names with the only difference being that their files and database will be stored on a different install.

For example:
    Joe.domain1.com will be moved to Joe.domain3.com. Then I will install multi-domains on domain3, add domain1 as a selectable domain and change Joe.domain3..com to Joe.domain1.com. The last step is what I'm trying to figure out how to do.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

in this case what I would do is after the transfer to Joe.domain3.com I would try changing directly in the database domains domain3.com to domain1.com ..... in my specific case I would use one of my favorite database management tools (Navicat) to accomplish this in seconds even if there are thousands to change :slight_smile:

I would use Navicat to first backup the current relative database table(s) so it is easy to change back in case of a meltdown. Then after the change of course there is probably DNS work to do too.

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks. I'll go ahead and do that. Do you know which database tables are affected? I'm curious to know if the different domains are identified by domain name or some kind of domain id in the database.

I think the ability to change a users root domain would be a cool feature for the multi domains plugin as well. I've gotten those requests in the past but since I've used separate installs I've just done an export/import.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

wp-blogs is the table that I would do the domain renaming in.

After viewing the wp-blogs table and my multi database files - it is 100% they are related as ID's to WP.

I hope this helps get you on the right track :slight_smile:

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks.

A future feature request would be to have the ability to change the domain in the admin CP. I'm not sure but I think the option was there in earlier versions. If its just a number change in the DB, it should be implemented fairly easily into the plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.